Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Scharf's History of Washington Cemetery, page 2


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



six thousand people visited the cemetery during the day, and that there were five thousand present at one time.

At two o’clock P.M. the procession formed in the public square at Hagerstown, with Col. R.E. Cook, chief marshal, assisted by Marshals A.J. Schindle, A K. Syester, Jr., Edwin Schindle, George M. Stonebraker, Frank Emmert, and Upton Brumbaugh. In half an hour the different organizations had taken their proper places and the march to the cemetery was commenced. At the head of the column, preceded by the Martinsburg Band and Drum Corps, were the Berkeley Light Infantry, Capt. Charles J. Faulkner, who were followed by the mayor and City Council of Hagerstown, Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, Hon. D.B. Lucas, Gen. I.R. Trimble, and others in carriages. After these came the delegation from the Society of the Army and Navy of the Confederate States and other citizens of Baltimore, accompanied by the Fifth Regiment Band, and commanded by Capt. McHenry Howard, president of the society. Next in order came the Fire Department of Hagerstown, their engines handsomely decorated with flowers, and accompanied by the Keedysville Band. These companies were followed by the delegation from Shepherdstown, W. Va., commanded by Col. W.A. Morgan, [note by Pruett - Ist Va Cavalry CSA] assisted by Capts. J.S. Melvin [note by Pruett - Co. H, 2nd Va Inf CSA] and Lee H. Moler,[note by Pruett - Co. B, 2nd Va Inf CSA] and led by Criswell’s Cornet Band. After the Shepherdstown delegation came various other delegations from Washington County and elsewhere. Those from Williamsport, Funkstown, and Sharpsburg were noticeably large, and carried masses of beautiful flowers. On the route from Hagerstown to the cemetery the different bands played lively and spirited airs, but when the inclosure was reached they were succeeded by solemn marches and dirges.

At the cemetery the light infantry were drawn up in line facing the graves and near the speaker’s stand. The bands were stationed at various points. The mayor and Council, the speakers, and the guests were then conducted to the stand by the trustees of the cemetery. A choir of sixty persons, with an organ, were placed in front of the stand, and the engines of the Fire Department were stationed along the main drives, upon a conspicuous eminence.

The exercises began with prayer, which was offered by the Rev. Levi Keller, of Funkstown. He thanked Almighty God for the restoration of love and unity between the late contending armies, and offered an earnest supplication for the President and other civil functionaries of the United States. After music by the Fifth Regiment Band, Maj. George Freaner, secretary and treasurer of the cemetery association, delivered a historical sketch of the cemetery. The burial of the Confederate dead who fell in the battles of Antietam and South Mountain in an appropriate place was, he said, the result of a series of efforts made by the State of Maryland. Less than eighteen months after the battles were fought the Legislature passed an act organizing the Antietam National Cemetery. This act, which was amended and re-enacted at the succeeding session of 1865, provided for the purchase of ten acres of land, "a part of the battlefield of Antietam," as a burial-place for the soldiers who fell in that battle. These acts made it the duty of the trustees of all States joining the corporation to remove the remains of all the soldiers who fell in the battles of Antietam and have them interred in this national cemetery, the remains of the soldiers of the Confederate army to be buried in a portion of the ground separate from that in which the bodies of the soldiers of the Union army were interred. To carry out this scheme the sum of fifteen thousand dollars was appropriated and expended in the purchase of the grounds, etc., near Sharpsburg, now the National Cemetery. Many thousands of dollars were contributed by fourteen other States, but, in violation of the law, the remains of the Confederate




ID:
wccc994

Creator:
J. Thomas Scharf

Notes:
Pruett notes the regiments of the leaders of the group from Shepherdstown

Date:
1888

Collection Location:
Western Maryland Room, WCFL

Contributor:
Publisher: Louis H. Everts.

Subject:
Maryland, History, Civil War, 1861-1865, Registers of dead; Cemeteries, Maryland, Washington County; Confederate States of America, Army, Maryland.

Coverage:
Washington and Frederick Counties (Md.), 1868

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image