Notes on George's Creek, page 2
"Mines were opened up all along the Valley. The Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad was built. Hamlet, village and town sprung up with marvelous rapidity. Around each coal bank was a collection of houses."
What is now Lonaconing is the merging of separate mining hamlets, Detmold and Jackson.
Miss Hepburn says that the Scotch-Irish and German miners in the Georges Creek region were during the coal-boom days better treated by their employers than obtained in many of the West Virginia mining communities where the script system of buying in the Company Store was compulsory.
The oldest permanent settler in the Georges Creek Valley was William Shaw. He is listed in Scharf's "History of Western Maryland" among those settlers at time of first federal census (1790). At that time the Shaw family resided at what is now Cresaptown. The exact date is not known when William Shaw moved to Georges Creek. Lloyd Shaw, a grandson of Major William Shaw, possesses "Articles of Agreement" between Major William Shaw and twenty heads of families dated 1809. It was a contract for teaching the children of the following families: Robert Ross, James Alberry, Jacob W. Huter, Henry Ingman, Jacob Rush, William Duckworth, Samuel Poland, Jacob Lee, David Spenser, Jacob Trollinger, John Moor, Jonathan Wills, William Moor, James Totten, Adam Rhodes, Conrad Corbus, William Ross, John Deakins, Henry Myer, John Warnick, Benjamin Brady.
Here is documentary proof that there was a solid community in Georges Creek prior to 1824. The Rev. Jones statement is misleading when in his book of 1904, quoted above, states "seventy-five years ago there were no houses between Frostburg and Westernport, except, etc."
"Barton was named by Major Shaw for his birthplace, Barton, England. Major Shaw also gave the names of "Pekin" and "Moscow" to the respective communities bearing those names.
The Shaw family seat is located at Moscow formerly called Moscow Mills, and on the site of the log mill of 1725, referred to by Jones. If this is true this would make Moscow the oldest place of occupancy in Allegany, antedating the arrival of Cresap at Oldtown by 15 years. The large brick residence that sets up on the bank adjacent to the remains of the stone mill was built by Lloyd Shaw's father, A. B. Shaw, in 1859. The Shaw family had large land holdings throughout the Valley.
Major William Shaw, four years after his first term of teaching school at Moscow Mills, was ordained to the Gospel Ministry by the founder of American Methodism, Francis Asbury. The ordination certificate, the only one the editor has seen of its kind, is in the possession of Lloyd Shaw along with other important primary documents pertaining to local history such as the last will and testament of Daniel Cresap.
Felix G. Robinson
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms