Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Court House Square, page 4


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



The first minutes that have been found recording the meetings of the Board of Trustees begin with the date, November 23, 1865.

The school, the first publicly supported educational school in Western Maryland, was at times co-educational and at others "strictly for the boys." There were private schools for girls and for girls and boys co-existing with the Academy. In 1850 when the new building opened there was a private school for young ladies in the Washington Street building now known as the Professional Building—then called Terpsichorean Hall!

For all the later years of its existence the Academy was co-educational.

In 1929, the Academy built seventy-nine years before, was no longer suitable for the requirements of a modern school and in June of that year the famous old school, the only one of its kind left in Maryland closed its doors.

The long and interesting history spanned the development of the community from the little frontier village that grew up after the Revolution to the second incorporated city in Maryland.

Built on the parade ground of Fort Cumberland, once under Washington's personal command, the Academy sent forth her sons to take a noble part in every conflict from the War of 1812 through World War I. And many noted Cumberland names may be found in the Academy records both among the faculty and students.




ID:
gctt038

Creator:
Mary G. Walsh

Notes:
The Centennial Parade of 1889 down Baltimore Street. President Benjamin Harrison is seated in the second carriage at the front of the procession. From Herman J. Miller Collection of historical pictures.

Date:
1953

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Maryland

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image