Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Local landmarks page 2

Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


sumed command. He came to Cumberland with his troops in October of 1794, and used his former headquarters as a base of operations. Washington reviewed his troops at Fort Cumberland and was prepared to lead them against the rebellious Pennsylvanians. When word of Washington's presence became known, the whiskey insurrectionists soon lost heart and decided to pay their taxes rather than test the armed might of General Washington and his troops. No battles were fought, and here in his old headquarters, Washington took off his uniform as Commander-in-Chief, and so far as is known, never again wore his military uniform.

The George Washington headquarters remained on the original site until 1844, when Judge Thomas Perry erected his home on the corner of Washington Street and Prospect Square, and it became necessary to move it. A man named George Blocker purchased the headquarters and moved it out to his farm on the Bedford Road. Here it was erected next to his barn, and sheeting placed over the log sides. From that date down to 1921 it remained on the Blocker farm which is just outside the City of Cumberland.


James Alfred Averitt

Editor: Felix G. Robinson


Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Maryland, History


Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image