Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Local landmarks page 3


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



In 1921 the building was purchased by the lawyer and historian, James Walter Thomas. The building was then moved from the Blocker farm to Riverside Park in the City of Cumberland and presented to the City by Dr. Thomas. The work of moving and reconstructing the cabin was under the direction of William J. Morley, the contractor who restored the Washington headquarters at Valley Forge.

One of the unusual features about the headquarters is the fact that most of the timbers are the original ones. A few of the logs near the ground had decayed, but for the most part all the timbers were in sound condition and were used in restoring the building. As it stands today, it contains almost all of the original materials reconstructed in exactly the same form and design as when used by Washington.

One of the most impressive ceremonies ever held in the City of Cumberland was occasioned by the dedication of the headquarters. The guest of honor was General John J. Pershing then General of the American Armies. Representatives of both the French and British embassies were present and took a part in the ceremonies in Riverside Park on April 21, 1921.

At the time General Pershing was here, he had as his aide a young Major by the name of George C. Marshall, who became Commanding General of the American Armed Forces in World War II and later Secretary of State.

In the George Washington headquarters we have a shrine of national importance. Here the young Washington received much of his military training which was to serve him well during the trying years of the American Revolution. Those of us who live in the Tablelands of Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Maryland may well feel proud of the part our area played in the life of the Father of our Country.

THE JANE FRAZIER HOUSE IN ALLEGANY COUNTY, MARYLAND

Second only to the George Washington headquarters, perhaps the next most historic building near the City of Cumberland is the home of Jane Frazier. Associated with this building is one of the most amazing and romantic legends of the early days of the Cumberland area.

The exact date of the erection of the Frazier house is not known, but it is believed that it was erected either in 1755 or a short time before that date. We only know that during the Fall of 1755, Captain John Frazier and his wife, Jane, were living in the house. According to one account, the house was actually in the course of construction at the time of her capture. The Frazier house is situated on the Oldtown Road about one-half mile east of




ID:
gctt043

Creator:
James Alfred Avirett

Date:
1953

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Maryland

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image