Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Religious foundations in Cumberland page 2


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



The Rev. John Jacobs, a Methodist preacher of that period, is quoted as saying "that there was as early as 1782 a Baptist organization which subsequently disbanded." The Methodists commenced their Cumberland history in 1782 according to Lowdermilk and Sharf.

"The almost entire absence of all historic record of the early history of Methodism in Cumberland makes an account of its rise purely traditional and often inferential. Bishop Francis Asbury, John Haggerty, and Richard Owen are regarded as the true pioneers of Methodism in Western Maryland. Which of them was first has not been determined. Their labors date from about 1782.

"The Rev. Francis Paythers and Benjamin Roberts in 1783, Wilson Lee and Thomas Jackson in 1784, Lemuel Green, William Jessup and John Paup in 1785, John I. Jacobs in 1786, all shared in the establishment of Methodism in Western Maryland. The Rev. Enoch Watson labored in 1786 and 1787, and Phillip Bruce's great revival in 1788 is among the well-remembered incidents of early Methodism in Cumberland. From 1788 to 1802 the church languished, with little life, and no progress, until revived by Bishop Whatcoat, who in 1803 added over one hundred to the little congregation, in which work he was faithfully aided by the Rev. L. Martin, a local preacher. The Rev. James Ward and Louis R. Fechtig in 1805 revived the church and infused new zeal in its members. Allegany Circuit appears first in the general minutes of the church in 1804 with




ID:
gctt050

Creator:
Felix G. Robinson

Notes:
Public Wedding Ceremony at Tri-State Fair Grounds and Race Track in South Cumberland, October 6, 1892. From Herman J. Miller Collection of historical pictures. Miller noted that the race track "operated until the Tri-State Race Track and Fair Grounds at the south end of Virginia Avenue, with the C&O Canal as a backdrop, opened. On October 6, 1892, at the race track in South End on Virginia Avenue, a public wedding was held in conjunction with the fair and races. Miss Fannie Mallone and George T. Duvall were married by Reverend Horscall, a Lutheran minister from Frederick. The Cumberland Concert Band was in attendance and after the ceremony played the 'Coronation March' from 'The Prophet' by Meyerbeer."

Date:
1953

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Maryland

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image