Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Religious foundations in Cumberland page 7


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Thomas Stanton from which the above account was taken. The Redemptorist Order was succeeded by the Carmelites who were here but a short period. They were followed by the Westphalian and Bavarian Capuchins in 1875 when the Pennsylvania Province was formed. Father Marius is the Superior.

Three native sons of Allegany County have risen to the highest positions of rank in their respective churches: His Eminence, Edward Cardinal Mooney of Detroit, from St. Peter's Catholic Church in Mt. Savage, Maryland; The Right Reverend Theodore M. Barth, Bishop of Tennessee, from St. George's Episcopal Church, also of Mt. Savage; and the Right Reverend John Gardner Murray, deceased, Bishop of Maryland, from St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Lonaconing, Maryland.

Between the coming of Washington to Wills Creek in 1753, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1842 and the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in 1850, most of the religious organizations in Cumberland were established. From these have sprung additional parishes making up the present total of forty-two churches. If all the residents of Cumberland were members each congregation would consist of about one thousand people.

*** SLOAN GLASS COMPANY       Phone: 2138

Cumberland, Maryland
CUT GLASS FOR TABLE AND HOME
AGENTS WANTED       SEND FOR CATALOGUE

***
THE JOHN I. VANDEGRIFT CO., Inc. ESTABLISHED
General Contractors
Liberty Trust Building       Cumberland, Maryland

***
For Better Accommodations, Phone: Frostburg 655—Dining Room 1076
CLARYSVILLE INN       
Erected in 1807
Motel—Cocktail Lounge—Restaurant—Banquet Rooms
On Route 40 between Frostburg and Cumberland ... In continuous operation for almost 150 years . . . Now the most popular entertaining spot on the historic National Pike (Route 40) ... Hot water heated . . . Large 15x15 foot rooms . . . Large picture windows looking out upon mountain scenery . . . Catering to private banquets and parties.




ID:
gctt055

Creator:
Felix G. Robinson

Date:
1953

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Maryland

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image