Early history of State Teachers College, Frostburg, page 2
to sponsor the amendment that was likely contested by other county delegates. There are local impressions that the surmises made are essentially what happened.
Public spirited citizens of Frostburg raised the sum of $400 by popular subscription and the canvass for funds reached all the miners even in the mines and pledges were charged off the miners' pay by the operators. A tract of about three acres was purchased from Frank Beall situated between Loo Street, now College Avenue, and Oak Street. The tract had long been used as a church and fraternal picnic ground.
The site was accepted by the State Board of Education, deeded to the State and an invitation was tendered to the Grand Lodge of Maryland by the State Board of Education for the Cornerstone Laying of the State Normal School No. 2 of Frostburg, Maryland. "A procession was formed, headed by the school children of the county, and the cornerstone was laid by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Thomas J. Shryock, in company with His Excellency, Lloyd Lowndes, Governor of Maryland, assisted by the Grand Lodge Officers in the presence of a large concourse of people. The oration was by P. G. Master, John M. Carter. His Excellency, Lloyd Lowndes, addressed the assembly setting forth the progress of education in the public schools in the western counties of the state."
The late Harry Fuller, contractor at the cornerstone laying was told by the Most Worshipful Grand Master as he placed the Jewel of his office around Mr. Fuller's neck to go ahead and lay the cornerstone as he then represented the Most Worshipful Grand Master.
The school opened on September 15, 1902, with fifty-seven students enrolled. That number soon rose to ninety-four—twenty-three "young gentlemen" and seventy-one "young ladies."
On September 18th, two teachers with their pupils, grades one through eight, were transferred from Beall School to the Normal School and the new practice and observation school was named the model school. Thus, the College began with Edmund Dandridge Murdaugh as Principal and Charles E. Dryden as Vice Principal. Mr. Dryden was an excellent coach in men's sports and for three years had a football team that is still remembered and boasted of as never defeated and one year not even scored against. Many of the towns had semi-professional teams in the area and played the new college's team.
The school did not make provisions for resident students until 1919 when a residence hall was built for women. From the Fiftieth Annual Report of the State Board of Education, we read: "With this building which is to contain a reception parlor and a library, where books will be placed so kindly donated to the school by Dr. Samuel A. Baer, the library of Dr. Baer so long and so kindly remembered as the Assistant Principal." A bronze
John L. Dunkle
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Editor: Felix G. Robinson