Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Early history of State Teachers College, Frostburg, page 3


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



plaque giving his name, years of birth and death is in the hall of the original building.

The members of the State Board of Education were the trustees of the Normal School and students who were recommended to the school by a trustee, received a scholarship that gave free tuition. All graduates after two years of successful teaching received from the State Board of Education a gold seal that was added to their diplomas and certified that the graduate was certificated for life to teach in the public schools of Maryland.

On June 20, 1905, the members of the two classes which had graduated met and organized into an Alumni Association and Mr. Murdaugh, the Principal, presided each Saturday morning over a graduates' study club in order to further the professional and educational adjustments of the alumni. It must have been a very wonderful experience for the teachers in service.

Two enrollment problems confronted the new school—for high schools were not easily accessible to all students, nor was high school graduation one of the goals of most students. To bridge these gaps, the normal school offered in addition to two years of professional work, two years of secondary work that was certified to by the State Board of Education as the equivalent of high school graduation. The secondary work was discontinued in 1919 when the high school program became adequate to meet the needs of all students seeking high school work.

The Normal School Song, written in 1916, except for a few changes, continues to be the college song today. The words by Isabel V. Kinnison, Class of 1917 were to the music, "Summer Now Has Come Among Us," by Pinsuti.

With an old historic background,
In a town by mountain cool,
Where the heavens are the bluest,
Stands our dear State Normal School.

Every year she bravely faces,
Cold and sleet and icy breeze,
And in spring she greets the robins,
Building homes in all her trees.

Stately trees surround the buildings,
But the ones that stir the soul,
Are the first of all which greet us,
Dignity and Self-control.

***
* Dignity and Self-control were the names of two Colorado Blue Spruces planted, one on each side of the walk leading to the main entrance. They have been replaced by lower growing shrubbery.

John L. Dunkle was president of the State Teachers College at Frostburg from 1923 to 1945.




ID:
gctt058

Creator:
John L. Dunkle

Date:
1953

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Maryland

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image