Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Recent Paleontological Discoveries, page 2


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



that the cave had actually been cut in half by the railroad and that Dr. Gidley had explored just the southern sector. Immediately the opposite section was entered and just inside, the left ramus of the mandible of Euractus vitabilis, an extinct type of bear, was found. This was an indication that this portion of the cave had also served as a depository for many bones and so excavations were begun. In the course of several years work, two rooms, connected by a narrow passageway were discovered. The first is ten feet long by six feet wide and was excavated to a depth of three feet while the second room, which is slightly larger than the first, was excavated to a depth of four feet. The excavation itself was rather difficult since the dust raised in the small chamber made breathing and seeing difficult. Also, each shovelful of dirt had to be sifted since some of the bone fragments are only 1/8 of an inch in size. As a result, progress was slow but since each bucketful of dirt disclosed some new bones, the work was not too discouraging.

Finally, the work had progressed so far that there was danger of rocks, loosened by the excavation, falling onto the railroad tracks. At this point the Western Maryland agreed to remove the rocks over the cave so that there would be no danger of rock falls. Several thousand cubic feet of rock were removed and in doing so, more chambers were revealed, several of




ID:
gctt060

Creator:
Bro G. Nicholas

Notes:
This is a Baltimore and Ohio train on the North Branch Bridge at North Branch, Maryland, about five miles east of Cumberland. It was constructed by Wendel Bollman after the original covered wooden span had been destroyed by the Confederate soldiers in 1861.

The picture is from the collection of the late F. E. Rathbun, Superintendent of Schools of Garrett County. The picture is used with the permission of the Garrett County Historical Society.

Date:
1953

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Maryland

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image