Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
The Itinerant Perikomian page 3


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Rev. Perinchief served the parish during the Civil War ministering to a congregation of divided loyalties. The parish was in serious debt. While at St. George's in Mt. Savage he became the first President of the Board of Education of Allegany County.

WESTERN MARYLAND DAY, Tuesday, May 19, 1953, was observed in the Y. M. C. A. Gymnasium, Cumberland, Maryland. The Luncheon was attended by almost three hundred business and professional men, comprising membership in all the service clubs. The Guests of Honor were the officials and members of the Board of Directors of the Western Maryland Railway when through Vice President Burton Faust of the National Speleological Society the Western Maryland was presented with a Certificate of Award for its natural assistance in the restoration of the Cumberland Bone Cave. Mr. Faust presented the Award of Merit to Mr. Grosz, President of the Western Maryland Railway. Mr. Grosz gave an address following the presentation. Brother Nicholas, who supervised the excavation and did so much to arouse new interest in this cave, had a part in the program.

GOVERNOR THEODORE R. McKELDIN, accompanied by his wife, motored to Oakland, Maryland, October 5th of this year for the purpose of dedicating the first tree farm in Garrett County. The day was clear and warm, the forest foliage was at its autumnal best. After a Luncheon at the William James Hotel sponsored by the Oakland Chamber of Commerce a group of over one hundred Garrett County citizens motored, along with the Governor, to Virgil Steyer's Tree Farm, consisting of ninety-six acres. This farm is located near the bank of the Potomac River adjacent to a village called Steyer, founded by Virgil's ancestor. After the preliminary exercises, including the address by Virgil Steyer, which is appended to this account, and after the Southern High School Band, dressed in their bright red uniforms expertly played a short concert, the Governor made the address of Dedication.

When the program had been completed the whole assemblage of men and women strolled leisurely over a marked path through the forest for over a mile, directed by the personnel of the Maryland Forestry. Governor and Mrs. McKeldin were in the hiking party, and also stayed to watch an exhibition of chopping and sawing logs by crew members of local lumber companies. This event marks a new era in local conservation practice. The State of Maryland is annually planting thousand of seedlings in not only the state-owned but privately-owned forests of Garrett County of which two-thirds of its acreage remains devoted to the growth of trees.

The following is a brief history of the cuttings made on the Virgil T. Steyer tree farm as told by Mr. Steyer:




ID:
gctt064

Creator:
Felix G. Robinson

Date:
1953

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Maryland

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image