Across the desk
ACROSS THE DESK
The Sunday Evening Times, Cumberland, Maryland, December 20, 1953.
By J. WILLIAM HUNT
Allegany County Historical Society Reorganized After Eight Years of Inactivity—Numerous Individuals Have Contributed to the Historical Treasury of the Cumberland Area—Research Most Desirable Form of Supporting Effort.
Preliminaries have been completed for reorganization of the Allegany County Historical Society, and a general meeting is planned early in the new year.
Appreciation of Cumberland area history has grown in the past few years, and there is an increasing realization of the importance of collecting and preserving the records of the centuries that have passed since the Ohio Company built its storehouse and stockade at this juncture of Wills Creek and the Potomac River.
As one of the results of the Cumberland Sesquicentennial celebration in 1937, a county historical society was formed and meetings were held two or three times a year until the Second World War. Since June, 1945, there have been no meetings. At that time, however, a nominating committee was named by Thomas Lohr Richards, the society president. This committee comprising Miss Mary G. Walsh, Mrs. Olive Shirey and Mrs. Esther Rosenbaum has recently become the activating force in reorganizing the society. After several exploratory meetings at the Cumberland Free Public Library a list of nominees was sent to the remaining members of the defunct organization and about 60 per cent responded.
As a result of the balloting the following officers have been elected for the Allegany County Historical Society:
President, Miss Ruth Clauson; Vice Presidents, U. S. Senator J. Glenn Beall, Circuit Court Judges Morgan C. Harris and George Henderson, former Chief Judge of the State Court of Appeals D. Lindley Sloan, and former Attorney General William C. Walsh.
Treasurer, Mrs. Esther Rosenbaum; Assistant Treasurer, Mrs. G. Morgan Smith; Recording Secretary, Miss Olive Simpson; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. Gertrude G. Smith, and Curator, Miss Mary G. Walsh.
Trustees (in alphabetical order) are: James Alfred Avirett, Oliver H. Bruce, Jr., W. Earle Cobey, Albert A. Doub, Mrs. A. N. Golladay, William A. Gunter, Charles Z. Heskett, J. William Hunt, Mrs. Charles L. Kopp, Miss Elizabeth L. Lowndes, Miss Margery Muncaster, W. Wallace McKaig, Mrs. Orville L. Shirey, J. Carter Shryock, Miss Anne Sloan and Horace P. Whitworth, Sr.
J. William Hunt
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Editor: Felix G. Robinson