Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Across the desk page 8


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



original construction costs, together with the costs of maintenance. And one must remember that this was done by manual labor. On the basis of manual labor today, such a road could not possibly be built. Modern road costs are multiplied by reason of machinery and material. We have invested far more capital in road machinery than we ever invested in manpower. Human labor in those early days was expendable. The picture of the men breaking and laying cobble stones on Centre Street in Cumberland found on page 42 in this issue is a good illustration as to how the old National Pike was built over a hundred and twenty-five years ago.



The above figures include the cost of the famous stone-arch bridges. Macademising of the road began in 1832, named for inventor of the process, a Scotchman by the name of John L. McAdams. David Shriver was the first superintendent when Toll Houses and Gates were built by the states. His salary was $500.00 a year. Shriver became superintendent in 1831. This was the year in which the toll system went into effect.



THORNTON TAYLOE PERRY, II, Postmaster of Charles Town, West Virginia, addressed members of the Oakland Rotary Club, Oakland, Maryland, and the Garrett County Historical Society, December 11th, on his experiences as a collector of books and pamphlets mostly dealing with West Virginia. Mr. Perry holds the distinction of having the largest single collection of books on West Virginia in existence. The present collection consists of over twenty-five hundred separate items.
THE CENTENNIAL SERVICES of the Keyset Presbyterian Church, Keyser, West Virginia, were inaugurated Friday, December 4, 1953, one hundred years to the day that Dr. William H. Foote, Headmaster of a private Academy in Romney, West Virginia, and Elder James D. Armstrong organized the congregation. This church began its history in a log house owned by Robert K. Sheetz, located on Potomac Heights. The log church was situated near the present home of Mrs. Earl Hess. It was first called Mt. Hope. The Rev. Charles A. Gibboney of Atlanta, Georgia, preached the Centennial Sermon. Dr. Gibboney was a former Pastor. In its one hundred years it has been served by fourteen ministers, including the present Pastor, Dr. John D. McLeod.

***
Old Export

"A SWELL BEER"

MOUNTAIN WATER MAKES THE DIFFERENCE




ID:
gctt076

Creator:
J. William Hunt

Date:
1953

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image