This is the third installment of what we believe to be a unique and invaluable listing of books, pamphlets and magazines dealing with the whole area and the separate counties covered by TABLELAND TRAILS. There is no one library, not even the Congressional, in which one can find all that are listed. In fact, there are some items that only can be obtained in private libraries. There are some who might think there is a lot of duplication. Of the topics most commonly discussed that of the French and Indian War ranks first. But one finds in each book important data that is unique, and not obtainable elsewhere. As there are so many angles of vision to our landscape, so with our history. In TABLELAND TRAILS cultural history takes precedence over the political. With this in mind every tome and preserved newspaper item contains a little of the real 'gold dust'
Be sure to save every copy of TABLELAND TRAILS for this complete Bibliography.
Your Britannica minus volume eighteen (say) will annoy you. There is no remedy for incompleteness.
(36) THE OHIO COMPANY (1748-1792). Kenneth P. Bailey. Published by Arthur H. Clark Co., Glendale, Calif., 1939. Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland, Md.
(37) THE GLADES STAR, A Quarterly published by the Garrett County Historical Society, Oakland, Md. This was commenced in 1940. The complete volumes are available for study in the Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland, Md.
(38) Christopher Gist's Journals, edited by William H. Darlington. Published by J. R. Weddin and Co., Pittsburgh, Pa., 1893. In many of the libraries dealing with our local history.
(39) HISTORY OF BRADDOCK'S EXPEDITION, by Winthrop Sargent. Published by Lippincott and Company, Philadelphia, Pa., 185,5, on the occasion of the one hundredth anniversary of the Battle of the Monongahela. Cumberland Free Library, Cumberland, Md.
(40) HISTORY OF ST. PAUL'S ENGLISH LUTHERAN CHURCH, Cumberland, Md., by the Rev. Hixon Tracey Bowersox. Published for the Congregation by the Monarch Printing Company, Cumberland, Md.
(41) WESTERN LANDS AND THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION. Thomas Perkins Abernethy. Published by D. Appleton Century Co., N. Y., 1937. Library of William and Mary College, Williamsburg, Va.
(42) MIRROR OF THE OLDEN TIME. J. Pritts, Chambersburg, Pa. Published by S. S. Mills, Abingdon, Va., 1849. Library of William and Mary College, Williamsburg, Va.
(43) EARLY MAPS OF THE TABLELAND. In Library of Delf Norona, formerly President of the West Virginia Historical Society. Mr. Norona lives in Moundsville, W. Va.
(44) GENERAL GEORGE CROOK, His Autobiography. Edited by Martin F. Schmitt. Published by University of Oklahoma Press, 1946.
(45) THE CUMBERLAND ROAD. Archer Butler Hulbert. Published by Arthur Clark, Cleveland, Ohio, 1904.
(46) SKETCHES OF A TOUR TO THE WESTERN COUNTRY. F. Cuming
Felix G. Robinson
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963