Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Native Man in Garrett County page 7


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



flooded most of the year because of the Confluence Dam. It has never been excavated. The chief excavation work has been made at the Sang Run site. Whether these villages at any time were occupied the year round is undetermined.

CAMP SITES

Thirty archaic camp sites have been mentioned in the Corliss article. Those of the Woodland culture are far more numerous. These were seasonal hunting and fishing camps. Following is a description of those that have been identified:

THE ACCIDENT CAMP

This camp was on the property of Adam Richter on the outskirts of the village of Accident. The reason for its location was the presence of a flowing spring. Felix G. Robinson, and the author of this article, visited this community in June 1961. It was learned that many Indian relics and artifacts were uncovered here. Meshach Browning knew of this Indian site.

BUFFALO MARSH CAMP

This was located at the Big Boiling Spring at McHenry; both are now covered by Deep Creek Lake. It was opposite the summer residence of the late Daniel Specht of Somerset, Penna. The early settlers are said to have found the remains of a buffalo in the neighboring marshy area. Augustine Friend's abandoned hunting cabin was occupied by the James Spurgeons and their nephew Meschach Browning when they first came to the county in 1794.

BUFFALO RUN CAMP

Here the natives had one of their largest camps. This stream emptied into the Youghiogheny at Selbysport. On the ridge between Selbysport and Friendsville were found a number of graves. This region has yielded many artifacts.

DUNKARD LICK CAMP

This site can be reached by the Hutton Switch Road, about three miles from Oakland, along the north fork of Dunkard Lick.

THE GORTNER CAMP

This was located at the union of Cherry Creek and Douglas Run in Gortner. Here was an old Indian corn field and camp. It was here that the Ashbys planted their first grain and built their fort. This site is of particular interest to the author. In 1957 Felix Robinson accompanied the writer to the site of Fort Ashby. In June 1961 the writer, accompanied by his wife, and Mrs. Jefferson Lohr visited this ground. Earlier, in 1948, and again in 1950, pupils and teachers from the Gort-




ID:
gctg014

Creator:
Rev. J. C. Breuninger

Date:
Summer 1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image