Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Native Man in Garrett County page 10


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



miles north of Oakland. Mr. Casteel states that below the spring there were several ancient stone-lined pits, in which the Indians built fires, heating the stones. Then they poured water over the hot embers and stones. The hot steam arising was held by a tiny tent of skins, and served for the "sweating" of ailing Indians. There was a buffalo wallow below the spring, and on Hall's Hill nearby—an open, airy place—deer, elk and buffalo appear to have resorted to escape the gnats and flies. The droppings of these animals here is said to have so enriched the soil that when cultivated in later years twenty-two crops in succession were harvested without exhausting its fertility. Wilmer Mail was an early resident at the Green Glades Camp site. His family was our only pioneer family of part Indian blood."1

THE GINSENG CAMP

This was one of the five more or less permanent Indian village sites along the Youghiogheny River. In 1774 Paul Hoye surveyed this ground. It was patented as "Friend's Delight". In 1796 John Friend Jr. settled here. The descendants of the Hoyes and Friends still reside in the community. "The Friends report that when they first came to Gin Seng (Seng, Sang) Run they killed two of a herd of buffaloes along the river bottom. There was an abandoned Indian corn field on the higher ground. When the writer was a boy pieces of Indian pottery were found in the bottom field. In recent years Ralph Hoye opened an Indian grave on the river bank south of Sang Run in which were human bones and a stone ax, all covered with the worn river stones. He replaced the bones."1 (Indian Camp Sites, C. E. Hoye). In 1950 the author, along with Capt. Hoye, visited this region.

MASON CAMP

This Camp was near the Great Warriors Trail at the west foot of Backbone Mountain, now known as the Mason community, on the farms of Grover Lee and John Shaffer. In June, 1946, brother George and the writer visited this extensive camp site, which extended from the valley of Cherry Creek to the Shaffer farm. The region was extremely fertile. It is claimed that some of the fertility is due to the accumulation of wood ashes from the numerous camp fires. John Shaffer (deceased) pointed out to us this particular site.

THE PROMISED LAND CAMP

"The camp was on the land tract of the same name, which lies four miles northwest of Oakland. In 1789 this 1200 acre tract belonged to Governor Thomas Johnson. Later, half of it became the Joseph P. Davis stock farm. About half a mile west of the Davis house was the "Indian Meadow". Some sixty years ago a groundhog was chased into its hole in

1. "Indian Camps in Garrett County" by Charles E. Hoye.




ID:
gctg017

Creator:
Rev. J. C. Breuninger

Date:
Summer 1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image