Native Man in Garrett County page 6
trails antedated the French and Indian War, and the first white settlement in Garrett County.
In the March, 1951 issue of "The Glades Star" there appeared an article by F. R. Corliss Jr. (County Surveyor) in which he reports a study made by the Carnegie Field Museum (Pittsburgh, Pa.) by their field archaeologist, Mayer-Oakes, and himself. This study centered in Indian sites along the Youghiogheny River at Sang Run and Friendsville. Native habitation in Garrett County was divided into five prehistoric time intervals, and one historic. They are as follows:
(1) Early Archaic 5,000-500 B.C.
(2) Late Archaic 500 B.C.—500 A.D.
(3) Early Woodland (Monongahela) 500 A.D.—900 A.D.
(4) Middle Woodland 900 A.D.—1300 A.D.
(5) Late Woodland 1300 A.D.—1600 A.D.
(6) Historic Indian 1600 A.D.—
In the same article Mr. Corliss goes on to say:
"Up to this time (June 1950) approximately 30 archaic sites have been located, most of which are about Deep Creek Lake. A site on the Ralph Hoye farm, Sang Run, represents the Middle and Late Woodland cultures, while at Friendsville we believe the Late Woodland and perhaps the historic is best represented."
The evidence of native man is especially obvious along the
Youghiogheny River and its tributaries.
"The river is 123 miles in length. The average width of the valley, through which it flows, is 17 miles. As to width, a distribution of complex surface irregularities, tilted sidewise so that the drainage of the valley flows mostly from the east. The river flows its serpentine way along the west side of the tilted valley floor. From near its source, and almost to its mouth at McKeesport, Pennsylvania, it occasionally flows through modified gorges. At certain intervals, mostly at mouths of tributaries, there are level unforested fields, fill-ins of deep soil from ancient floods. It was on these fields that native man erected his villages comprised of Igloo-shaped huts made of wood, bark, and animal skins."
Village sites of native man along the Youghiogheny River in what is now Garrett County were: (1) Upper Yough Glade, near Underwood (2) Lower Yough Glade near Oakland (3) Sang Run, at mouth of Sang (Gin Seng) Run (4) Friendsville, at mouth of Bear Creek (5) Selbysport, at mouth of Buffalo Run. The last named was furtherest down-stream, near the Pennsylvania line and was comprised of the most extensive river-bottom land. The site on which the village stood is
Mayer-Oakes. In May 1962 at the meeting of the Detroit Chapter of the
Archeological Institute of America Mayer-Oakes delivered a lecture entitled "The Upper Ohio Valley". This included the Youghiogheny basin and its tributaries.
He reported that from Table Rock northwards to the Mason-Dixon Line there has
been uncovered more than 37 archaic camp sites. It was the writer's privilege, as a
member of the Detroit Chapter, to introduce Dr. Mayer-Oakes to his friends and members.
From "The History of the Youghiogheny River" by Felix G. Robinson.
Rev. J. C. Breuninger
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Editor: Felix G. Robinson
Western Maryland, 1750-1963