Rev John Stough page 6
Salem and unquestionably was responsible for much of John Stough's character. She died during the winter of 1792-93 and is buried within the shadows, off the northwest corner, of the present residence of Mr. William M. Teets, Aurora. (John preached her funeral sermon.) In March of 1793 he took the four children to Hagerstown to live with his parents-in-law. Here they stayed until 1796 when he married Miss Catherine Trautman of Fayette County, Penna.""
This community, like so many throughout the United States, changed its name from time to time. First it was called Salem, then Mt. Carmel, West Union, and presently Aurora. It is located in Preston County, West Virginia three miles west of the Maryland line on U. S. 50 (originally the Northwestern Turnpike, built in 1833).
THE DUTCH CHURCH
"For the purpose of establishing a church in German Township Michael Franks and others obtained a warrant for a tract of land south of Brown's Run, called 'The Straight and Narrow Way', February 2nd. 1785. April 25th, 1785 it was surveyed and found to contain one hundred seventeen and three fourth acres and allowance. This they received a patent for from Governor Thomas Mifflin July 22nd, 1794. Prior to that year they had built a log-meeting house, the only kind in the county at that time. It had a gallery, a rude pulpit or seat for the minister, and rough seats for the congregation.
The Aurora Documents, p. 13.
Felix G. Robinson
At the grave of Mrs. John Stough, the first, at Aurora, West Virginia, June 6, 1958. Left to right: Mrs. William M. Teets, William M. Teets, Rev. Breuninger, Miss Teets, Mrs. N. E. Miller. Courtesy, Kenneth Hardesty, Oakland, Maryland.
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963