George Rinehart page 3
It is the large stone house painted white, on the north side of Rt. 40. (2) The Winston Tavern on the Northwestern Turnpike, now known as Rt. 50. It was built by Alexander Smith and later operated by Edward Towers of Washington, D. C. Later it was operated by Major Charles Best, whose grave is in the cemetery at Red House. It stood on the brow of the hill west of Gorman. (3) The Rinehart Tavern was located on the Oakland-Moorefield Road, as already alluded to, five miles south of Oakland. Of the three the Rinehart Tavern was not only patronized by transients but also by the people of the county. This was because it provided space for various functions. It must have been the largest building of log construction in the county. There must have been thirty five taverns flourishing in Garrett County in the 1840-50 decade, mostly on the National Pike. They were located on four heavily trafficked wagon roads that crossed the county.
George Rinehart was a very generous host, both to traveling strangers as well as neighbors scattered widely over the hills and glades. He set a typical old fashioned pioneer German table loaded with all kinds of food and plenty of good drink. The following account of a Fourth of July Celebration in 1834 was published in the Maryland Advocate under date of July 15, 1834.
"Independence Day, 1834, was loyally celebrated at the community Tavern of George Rinehart at Sunnyside. Several hundred people attended, including seventy-five women.
At the break of day two guns were fired. At noon a procession formed, led by a small band, and marched one quarter of a mile to the grove of Sussan for dinner and a patriotic program. Here Meshack Browning, the great hunter, was unanimously appointed President for the Day, and Ralph Thayer V. President. The Declaration of Independence was read by Dr. Lewis F. Klipstine, followed by an oration by R. F. Furgason.
The company then sat down to a dinner that for sumptuousness, variety and taste was scarcely ever equalled; the choicest vegetables of that healthy climate, venison and trout were plentyful and served up in a manner that showed how the host regarded his guests.
Thirteen 'regular' toasts were drunk, then thirty 'volunteer' toasts proposed by George Lower, Jonathan Rinehart, James L. Layman, William Kight, John Rinehart, Thomas Rinehart, Benjamin Reckner, William Dawson, Dr. L. F. Klipstine ('The Glades—a land of milk and honey') Daniel Gower, J. Collier, John Browning, John Walz, George Rinehart ('Happy our civil and religious liberty—
Rev. J. C. Breuninger
2. Major Charles Best was born and reared in England. He was a member of
a well-to-do Catholic family. He was sent to a Catholic school to prepare for the
priesthood. He decided this was not his vocation—gave up his studies and enlisted
in the British army where he received the rank of Major. On returning to civilian
life he married a person who was a member of the Anglican Church and he left
the Catholic Church and joined the Anglican. This was a great disappointment to
his family. He got an annuity all his life from his family. Major and Mrs. Best
came to this country and settled somewhere between Red House and Gorman, Md.,
on the Northwestern Turnpike. One of his children, a daughter, Ada, married
Charles Oliver Nethken. A son, Marmaduke Best married a Shaffer of Red House.
Ada, a daughter of Marmaduke Best married Greely Janoski. This information was
obtained from Nell Nethken Garrett, a great-granddaughter of Major Charles Best.
He is remembered in local history as having taught in the Rinehart School and as
Proprietor of the Winston Tavern as late as the 1870s.
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Editor: Felix G. Robinson
Western Maryland, 1750-1963