Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
George Rinehart page 2


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



tract to George until 1800. In the 1798 assessment of Allegany County, Md., he was credited with four horses and ten cattle. In the 1800 Census he was listed as head of a family of seven.

This farm extended on both sides of the Oakland-Moorefield Road through Gortner, Sunnyside and Red House. This is today known as Rt. 219 and follows approximately the Seneca Trail created in 1725, and which stretched from western New York to North Carolina. The Rinehart house was on the east side of the road in Sunnyside. The site is but a vacant, abandoned field as of now. The house and tavern, one large structure, stood for almost one hundred years.

It was a large two-story affair constructed in two sections with a hall and kitchen between them and a porch eighty feet long on the front or the west side, facing the highway. This was the entire length of the structure. It had two large stone fireplaces, one at either end. One wing was used as a residence, the other for the traveling public. The hall was the meeting place for the local gentry, a place for dancing, school, political meetings and divine services. Nine years after the death of George Rinehart his son Jonathan sold the entire farm to Jacob Yutzy Sr. The foundation stones can be seen to this day.

At the time of the death of George Rinehart the tavern business in Garrett County was at its maximum. In 1851, eleven years after his death, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad had reached the top of the mountain. From then on this and other roadside taverns went gradually into decline.

The three most prominent taverns in the county were: (1) Tomlinson's (the oldest) on the National Pike, two miles east of Grantsville.




ID:
gctg049

Creator:
Rev. J. C. Breuninger

Notes:
THE TAVERN
In the cluster of trees was the Rinehart Spring. It was northeast of the tavern about 30 yards. Courtesy, George W. Breuninger.

Date:
1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image