Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
George Rinehart page 6


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Henry Gearhart. The church was dedicated in 1821. It was the first church of any denomination in the southern part of the county. Earlier churches were at Frazee's Ridge (Baptist) and at Accident (Lutheran). There was at least one church in Grantsville by that time. These were approximately thirty miles north.

The Church of Sussan, as it was popularly known, stood on the west side of the road a quarter mile north of the Tavern. It stood in a pleasant oak grove near an excellent spring, according to Dr. Jacob Yutzy. It was substantially built of hewn logs and served the community until 1868 when it was replaced by a plank church at Red House, in 1870. This was dismantled in 1885 by Rev. Jacob Yutzy and Benjamin Hutson. The present Saint John's Lutheran Church at Red House was built in 1907 and serves that congregation today. The original plank church was dedicated by Rev. John H. Cupp in 1870. Rev. Cupp had been a chaplain in the Union Army during the Civil War.

The third church, the present structure, was dedicated by Dr. Luther Kuhlman, Professor of Theology at Gettysburg Lutheran Theological Seminary, Gettysburg, Pa. This formal dedication took place on June 4, 1908. The writer attended; afterwards he entertained the good theologian for three profitable days.

The Rev. John Phillips, a Presbyterian clergyman, was the Pastor of Sussan's Church and the teacher of the school during the dark years of the war. Dr. Jacob Yutzy and the writer's mother were among the pupils attending there at the time. The Rev. Phillips originally came from Cambridge, Dorchester Co., Md. He was the brother of Harriett




ID:
gctg052

Creator:
Rev. J. C. Breuninger.

Notes:
St. John's Lutheran Church and Parsonage, Red House, Maryland. Dedicated in 1908 by Rev. Luther Kuhlman of the Lutheran Theological Seminary, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The present pastor is Rev. Luther Seibert. Courtesy, Rev. J. C. Breuninger.

Date:
1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image