Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
George Rinehart page 7


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Phillips, the wife of Edward Robinson, a ship captain. This Edward Robinson was the great-grandfather of Felix G. Robinson. The Rev. Phillips was the father of Minnie Lee Phillips who became the wife of Thaddeus Hinebaugh, an uncle of Rev. Felix G. Robinson. Minnie Phillips Hinebaugh was one of the first people to write on Garrett County history. Captain Hoye was also one of her relatives. The author visited her a number of times in her charming home in Oakland.

NEIGHBORS

Another important personage associated with George Rinehart was his Sunnyside neighbor to the north, Nicholas Gower (Gauer) born in 1764 and died in 1826. He is buried on the farm of the Breuningers. The farms of Nicholas and George joined one another. They worked as partners in community enterprises for over twenty years. Nicholas helped George in building the church and school. On April 29, 1803 Peter, a child of Nicholas and Catherine Gower, was baptized by the Rev. John Stough. Another excellent neighbor was Sergeant John Zie-genheim who served in the Union Army. He came home on leave. On his return he was taken prisoner and died of wounds received at Fair Oaks, Virginia in 1864.

THE RINEHART SCHOOL

This too was constructed of logs. The first school teacher on record was Ann Thayer, a daughter of Stephen Thayer. The Thayers came from New England. Only two of this branch of Garrett County Thayers currently live here. They are Frederick A. Thayer III, attorney, and Thomas Thayer, public relations director for the Garrett National Bank.




ID:
gctg053

Creator:
Rev. J. C. Breuninger

Notes:
Red House Church dedicated in 1870 by Rev. John H. Cupp. David Arnold once stated that he was present when this church was built—and when it was removed. The Rev. John G. Breuninger preached here on many occasions. Courtesy Sommers Mosser.

Date:
1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image