Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
George Rinehart page 9


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



pupils in the Sunnyside School when Campbell wrote Rinehart. Alexander Chisholm was a one-half scholar and paid $1.00. Israel Thompson paid $4.00 for two scholars. During the Civil War the school was held in the Church of Sussan, which stood very near, as the school also was located on the west side of the road. The Church of Sussan was in use until 1868 when the well-kept cabin of the writer's grandfather, Peter Gortner, across the meadow served as school until the plank school house was built at Sunnyside in 1874.

The author knew three men who were neighbors of George Rinehart: (1) William White 1825-1919 (2) Jesse Ashby 1817-1910 (3) David Arnold 1832-1909.

Following is a list of the teachers of the Rinehart-Sunnyside School —those that served in the original building until 1868, and those that served in the plank school up until recent years: Ann Thayer, Nathaniel G. Campbell, Christian Yutzy, Dallas Miller, the Rev. John Phillips, Everett Ross and Ralph Thayer. From 1874 to 1900: Charles Best, Arthur B. Ashby, George Porter, Dr. Walter Nine, Benjamin Hutson, Thomas Dawson, Kate Browning, John Gnegy, Ralph Alexander, Katie Beachy, Vadie DeWitt, Maud Kildow, Nettie Conneway, Elizabeth Taylor. Since 1900 Ira Culp, Sallie Kildow, Margaret Kerns, Jennie Pen-




ID:
gctg055

Creator:
Rev. J. C. Breuninger

Notes:
Hildred Barnard Mulvey, Principal of Red House School. She was the last teacher at Sunnyside (1949-1955). As she reported: "A 6 year program in teaching conservation. This included such projects as maintaining a wild life preserve, nature-trail, miniature farm pond, study of local vegetation, promoting reforestation through planting evergreens, landscaping, water diversion to prevent erosion; the cause of and remedial measures to preserve soil—plus the study of wild life with actual experience in raising ring-neck pheasants, and when raised to take them to their kind of habitat and release them."

Date:
1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image