Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Giant twins (Gortner) page 14

Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


One early September morning in 1908 Arthur Yutzy, brother Peter and the writer cradled several acres of buckwheat in the field that is just south of the present Grange Hall at Sunnyside. When we had finished we jumped into our Sunnyside baseball uniforms and raced to a Sunday School picnic at Gauer School House some five miles distant to the south. Here at 11 A. M. we played the team from Breedlove, W. Va., (a lumber town that no longer exists) in a boisterous and rousing game.

In October 1907 the neighbors gathered at the home of Daniel Schrock to thresh his buckwheat, as he had for a long time been too ill for work. Mr. S. J. Lichty used his threshing machine. It became choked, and the writer climbed on top and tried to pull out the jammed straw. "Shall I close the opening?" he queried. Mr. Lichty replied: "No ... it isn't worthwhile."

The neighbors gathered in and threshed the buckwheat for George Stahl of Sunnyside in the autumn of 1908. Mr. Stahl had been an invalid for more than ten years.

The buckwheat plant grows about three feet high. Its leaves are heart-shaped, and the flowers contain a rich store of honey, and the bee visits them like an assiduous lover. Buckwheat honey is one of the better known varieties; it is dark colored, and its taste is of musky sweetness. It originally grew in Asia where it has been cultivated for milleniums. It came to America by way of Europe. For some reason buckwheat has steadily declined as a crop. In 1860 our country, with much less acreage


Rev. J. C. Breuninger

The Sunnyside Baseball Team at Underwood (Piney Bottom), Maryland— July 27, 1907. The game was with a team from Amboy (near Aurora), West Virginia at a Sunday School Picnic. Courtesy, Miss Alberta Zinn, York, Penna.


Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Maryland, History

Western Maryland, 1750-1963

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image