Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
The Amish Community in Grantsville, page 3


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



moved to the state of Iowa, some moved to the Amish colony just north of Grantsville and the rest joined other churches.

John Hershberger, ancestor of a large Amish family, evidently lived in Garrett County for some time, just south of the state line and west of U. S. Rt. 219, on the farm now occupied by Harrison Yommer. The large spring on his farm became a landmark and is referred to in land records as the Hershberger Spring. In 1795 he moved north several miles to the farm now occupied by Simon D. Beachy near Salisbury, Pa.

By the middle 1800s most of the land just north of Grantsville along Maryland State Rt. 417 was occupied by the Amish and continues so today with the modern Yoder's Locker Plant and several prosperous farms stretching from Grantsville to the State line.

In the 1860s Joel B. Miller (son of Benedict, above) bought what was left of "Cornucopia," one of the oldest tracts in the county and originally patented by Daniel Grant. The purchase fronted on the National Road in Grantsville and included the brick hotel built by Solomon Sterner in 1842, famous inn of stage-coach days. Miller's son, Joel J. Miller and his bride moved into the inn until their new farm buildings were constructed a half mile north of town. During their residence here the writer's father, the late Jones B. Miller, was born in 1870. Several years later they moved to the new farm home, now occupied by Alvin H. Yoder and the land on the National Road, including the Sterner Inn, was sold for town lots as "Miller's Addition" to Grantsville.

In the religious faith the Amish have carried with them the most compelling and deep-seated convictions. They are a branch of the Mennonite church which originated in Europe during the Reformation. The date generally accepted as the birth of the Mennonite church is 1525 when a small group of Swiss Anabaptist organized themselves as a church. Almost simultaneously with them, but unknown to either group, a similar movement developed in Germany. The denomination took its name some years later, from one of their leaders, Menno Simon. Menno was a former Catholic priest, won to the Anabaptist faith when the awful persecution against them drew his attention and caused him to make a careful study of the New Testament. In 1695 an unfortunate schism divided the Mennonite church. Jacob Ammon was the leader of the stricter group and from him the Amish have taken their name.

Because of their strict adherence to the teachings of Christ and the apostles, the Amish and Mennonites have frequently been misunderstood. Sometimes their interpretation and application of scripture have brought them into conflict with contemporary society. This is




ID:
gctg109

Creator:
Ivan Miller

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image