Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Annals of Oakland


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



ANNALS OF OAKLAND AND VICINITY

By MAE YOST (July 28th, 1897 and Sept. 8th, 1892)

Oakland was first known as "Slabtown" as far back as 1824 when John M. Thayer's father, Murray Thayer, built a saw and grist mill and a dwelling near the present site of the Rasche Mill (finally owned and operated by Michael Kildow). All were built of first cuttings from the sides of hemlock logs, hence the name "Slabtown".

The Isaac McCarty Post Office was in a lob cabin out on what was later known as the Totten Place. McCarty built later what was then considered one of the palatial homes in Oakland, still standing just back of the home of James D. Hamill (Editor's note: The Hamill property now that of Herbert Leighton; the Hamill house is now standing next to Oakland Lumber Co. McCarty house is no longer standing.) He had several very handsome daughters.

For a year or two the Oakland children were taught by an old man named William Jenkins in a little log hut standing two miles northeast of town alongside of the DeBerry farm. Later a frame building was erected up near where the first Lutheran Church stood, and a long, lean old bachelor, aged 60, named William Penn, taught a few sessions. (Editor's note: This is the house now owned and occupied by Judge and Mrs. Neil C. Fraley.) Mr. Penn wore a long, loose gown of flowered chintz that came to his heels. When in the school room he had a vile temper.

One of the political parties had erected a tall flag pole in front

GONDER'S INSURANCE AGENCY
Bernard I. Gonder COMPLETE INSURANCE COVERAGE—THE OLDEST INSURANCE AGENCY IN THE COUNTY . . . ESTABLISHED 1921 Oakland, Maryland       Deerfield 4-2260

***

Ray Teets Garage and Service Station
CHRYSLER — PLYMOUTH — GMC TRUCKS
On this location was erected, over a hundred years ago, the first store
in Oakland. This was the store of D. R. Brandt. Today, on the same site, we operate one of the largest auto sales and
service in this area. Our ESSO Service Station is open every hour, day and night, through out the year for the convenience of the American tourist.
Deerfield 4-2137       Oakland, Md.




ID:
gctg121

Creator:
Mae Yost

Date:
1953

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image