The Garrett Guards, and McCullough Pack Horse Path
The Company was ordered out by the state authorities Oct. 1883 to aid in the recapture of John Smith, a murderer who had escaped from jail. The Company was also ordered out upon the day of his execution, Nov. 16th, 1883.
When Capt. Ward well left the command to become the colonel of the Battalion it was officered as follows: Capt. Peter A. Chisholm, 1st. Lt. R. S. Jamison, 2nd. Lt. John F. White; brevet, Percy H. Veitch, Sergeants: W. S. Crim, E. Z. Tower, James H. Painter, Thomas Sweeney, James Stanton. Corporals: Truman West, Wm. Stoyer, W. W. Fairall, Theodore F. Combs, John Yelloly, G. D. Browning, J. Kempher, Wm. Stevens.
Under Capt. Chisholm the command maintained its high standard. When Col. Wardwell left the Battalion and Lt. Col. Pearre took charge he did much to encourage the command. It made a magnificent appearance at the Cumberland Centennial and at the sham battle in Baltimore where they had the part of honor on all occasions. Since Col. Pearre's resignation Capt. Newman has struggled hard to keep the command intact, but lack of State aid compelled his resignation and the Company, while still having the germs of its former life is in a present state of innocuous desuetude.
Capt. Robert Townshend was the last commander of the "Garrett Guards".
McCullough Pack Horse Path
This path was originally a buffalo trace, and is the oldest of all the trails in Garrett County. It was named for Samuel McCullough, a fur trader, the same for whom a monument commemorates his leap on a horse from a cliff near Wheeling, W. Va. The direction of this Path through Garrett County, commencing at the Preston County line is as follows: It entered Maryland east of Cranesville at the beginning corner of the Diadem Land Tract, crossing over Piney Mountain to Muddy Creek at a crossing near the old Brew Mahr Mill. From there it proceeded by way of Augustine Friends, now known as Teen Glade where Zenas Mellotte resides, remaining on the west side of the Youghiogheny River past Herrington Manor crossing again the Youghiogheny less than half a mile south of the mouth of Little Yough at what is now the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Bridge. Bearing south easterly through the Little Yough Glades it crossed Backbone Mountain at Allegheny Heights. Through Ryans Glade it went through the Logdson place and crossed the Potomac River into Virginia one mile west of Steyer.
(From the notes of the late Charles E. Hoye.)
Editor: Felix G. Robinson
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963