Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Mountain Lake Park, page 5


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Messrs. Weaver and Bardall on the corner of Oak and Ft. Sts. Rev. T. R. Hughes on E St., Rev. Sharp on E St., C. W. Connor on the cor. of Cedar and G Sts.

At the annual meeting of the stockholders held Aug. 22, 1882, Dr. T. H. Logan of Wheeling was elected President, Rev. J. M. Davis, Sec, and A. S. List, Treas. The following gentlemen constituted the Board of Directors: Dr. T. H. Logan, J. M. Davis, J. F. Goucher, J. B. Van Meter, and W. M. Frysinger, D. D. J. M. Davis was also elected Superintendent. For twenty years Mr. Davis has been elected a member of the Board of Directors, and for nineteen years has been the efficient secretary of the Association.

The Association Office was built in 1883 and enlarged in 1884 by the addition of a room 12x15.

The Assembly House was built in the early part of 1885. The Tabernacle was found inadequate to seat the crowds who attended the Camp Meeting and the Chautauqua; its enlargement became a necessity. In 1894 the structure was widened and sixteen feet added to the rear. Over five hundred chairs were placed in the front of the building and the remaining portion was supplied with new seats.

In 1900 the large, magnificent Auditorium was built. It is with




ID:
gctg136

Creator:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Notes:
An interior view of the largest auditorium ever erected in Garrett County. It had a seating capacity of four thousand. It was built by the Mt. Lake Park Association in 1900. Here were presented the programs of the Mountain Chautauqua during the month of August until the close of the first World War. The most noted speakers of America addressed capacity audiences from its spacious platform. It was also the setting for the Mountain Choir Festival from 1934 to 1941. Shortly afterwards it was dismantled by an itinerant religious organization.

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image