Mountain Lake Park, page 8
ings have increased to 200 or more, with an assessed valuation by the Community of even $200,000.00 but with a real value of over $300,000.00.
It will be noticed that the sum of $5229.64 had been expended for legal services, a sum exceeding the entire first cost of the 800 acres of land purchased by the Assn. These fees included the costs of two bitter and well fought law suits for two fifty acre tracts of land which shrewd men tried to take from the Association, without any just cause or shadow of title.
It will be noticed that the stockholders, with a limited capital of $15,000.00, undertook to make the then wilderness to "blossom and bloom as a rose". How well they succeeded is shown in the financial statement which follows. That they planned well and wisely none can dispute. The alder and hazel bushes have about disappeared; the swamps that were almost impassable are now beautiful meadows. The thick forest of brush and trees have become delightful building lots; the cow-paths are no more. In their stead are magnificent roads and driveways, measuring about 15 miles in length. An expenditure of $174,924.34 by the Association and a much larger sum by the Community of Mt. Lake Park has made this once valueless and undesirable locality one of the most successful and popular religious summer resorts in the land with possibilities beyond the conception of man.
The Summer Program of 1902
Fifty-four years ago Mountain Lake Park presented a summer program that eclipsed anything held there before or since. The program centered in a school of liberal arts on the college level, and provided as entertainment some of the top-ranking speakers and artists of that generation. It was a program centered in culture in relation to the Christian faith; that also provided for sports, outings, picnics, etc. The leading spirit of this cultural movement was Dr. Wilbur L. Davidson of Ohio. Upon the retirement of Dr. Davidson in 1911 the Park's cultural program went into the decline.
The following information is taken from a magazine called "The Mountain Chautauqua" (Midsummer program edition) published in Washington, D. C. (1902). This magazine was found in a scrapbook belonging to Britten Martin of Mt. Lake Park.
I—School of Liberal Arts. The following courses offered: Greek, Latin, German, French, English and American Literature, Natural Science, Mathematics, Music (violin and piano), Elocution, Oratory.
II—School of Photography.
Ill—Kinder gar ten.
IV—School of Domestic Science.
Editor: Felix G. Robinson
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963