Accident pioneers, page 2
George Deakins sent out two corps of engineers, each without knowledge of the other, to survey the best land in this section that contained six hundred acres. Possibly Beall headed one group and William Deakins the other.
William Deakins had John Hanson, Jr., Deputy Surveyor for the County (Frederick), survey a tract on the South Fork of Bear Creek. Just as the William Deakins party was completing its survey, Brooke Beall and his party appeared and proved to them by hatchet marks on certain trees that they had some days previously selected this particular tract. Deakins explained that he had selected the same land as Beall by accident, but agreed that Beall should have it, and they named the tract "Accident."
The details of the transaction are uncertain. However, a copy of the original plot and certificate of the Accident survey shows that John Hanson, Jr., completed the survey for Brooke Beall on April 14th, 1774.
The following August 25th, 1774, Beall assigned his warrant and survey to William Deakins, who on February 15th, 1786, after the Revolution, was given the patent by the State of Maryland.
William Deakins sold the tract of land called "Accident" to Cap
Kathryn A. Speicher
The Goehringer blacksmith shop and residence, Accident, Md. Left to right: John Eckhard, wagon maker; Peter J. Kahl; man holding horse, unknown; Adam Goehringer; Mrs. Adam Goehringer; Anna, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Adam Goehringer; the man, unidentified. Picture taken in 1885, according to Peter J. Kahl. Picture through the courtesy of Mrs. Harry Vitez.
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Editor: Felix G. Robinson
Western Maryland, 1750-1963