Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Accident pioneers, page 3


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



tain David Lynn in 1778. It seems that already in 1778 Colonel William Lamar had agreed to buy it from him, and he secured the title to 970 acres for $3,000, which included most of the Accident tract plus some adjoining land.

The first permanent settler in the Accident area was James Drane, Jr., a brother-in-law of Colonel William Lamar. He probably began to settle here before 1798 but did not move his family to Accident until 1801. They lived at first in a house which is believed to have been built by the Lamars sometime before 1798 but a larger house was soon added to the first, which is still standing and is considered the oldest structure in Garrett County. It now is owned by Adam Richter and is located on his farm east of the village.

James Drane died in 1828 and is buried in what was formerly known as the Drane Burying Ground, now the Zion Lutheran Cemetery.

Southern Manor Type Passes Upon the death of James Drane a change over in the type of farming was imminent. Up to this time the plantation system of farming was practiced with the use of slave labor. Like the white




ID:
gctg144

Creator:
Kathryn A. Speicher

Notes:
MAIN STREET, ACCIDENT, MARYLAND circa 1900 On the left: Goehringer's blacksmith shop, and the Goehringer residence. On the right: white house in foreground the Hotel operated by Mrs. Annie B. Reese. Next is the Fred Englehart carpenter shop with sign. Further up the street is John Gnegy's store and dwelling. Back of the Linden tree the house that was built by Richard Fairall, now occupied by Earl Ault. Steeple of Zion Lutheran Church peeping above the right of the tree. Picture through the courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. John Kahl, Accident, Md.

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image