Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Accident pioneers, page 8


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



Northern Garrett County Junior-Senior High School located near the Cove at northern edge of the original Accident tract.

Thus life moves on in 1956 in Accident. Founded by pioneers who believed in the basic unity of family life as the chief under-girder of America and democracy, the quiet of life of the community pays its silent respect every day by a firm belief in free public education, in worshipping God, and a peaceful co-existence with their fellow men and with the good earth which supplies the physical needs of those who are willing to engage in honorable toil.

Accident has, through the years, become one of the leading agricultural communities in the state. As a tribute, the inhabitants point with pride to their ancestors of the 1840's who discovered that the old way of life, that of the Southern planter and his slaves, was not strong enough to resist the way of life of the family farmer and his abilities to interpret the good life to those who were to follow him.




ID:
gctg149

Creator:
Kathryn A. Speicher

Notes:
The original Distillery of Melchior J. Miller and Sons. This picture was taken in 1893 by the Keystone Studio of Allentown, Penna. The Distillery was located on the beautiful Miller farm, located two miles south east of Accident, Md. Later the Distillery plant was enlarged. It operated until 1919 when the Prohibition Law went into effect. Operations were not resumed after this law was made unconstitutional in 1933. Two of the later buildings are still standing. 7J?se recognized in the picture, commencing at the left: Pater J. Kahl (still living), William Miller, "Limpy" Jim McGettigan, fourth unidentified, Fred Miller, Melchior J. Miller, and Cornelius Bowser. The little stone house was the first warehouse. The large building was used to make the mash. The Millers manufactured pure rye whiskey. Picture through the courtesy of William George Miller, Accident, Md.

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Contributor:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image