Deer Park, page 4
least it is mentioned in Baltimore and Ohio records for that year. Probably the station facilities at that date were on the primitive side, however, for the records further indicate that on February 8, 1865 Deer Park was made a "Second Class station." In the year 1869, according to that remarkable veteran railroad conductor, Marshall Marmaduke Sayre (1846-1928), a platform was built alongside the single track railroad, just below the Droege place. From here, Captain Sayre asserted:—"Old Mr. Droege used to ship his whiskey."
For some years, during the Civil War period, Mr. Droege operated a distillery on what later became known as the Grimes place. The writer's uncle, Michael A. Garrett, recalled vividly that one summer day during the Civil War, when he was about 10 or 12, his father sent him to get a gallon bucket of whiskey for the men who were helping him with his farming. The cost, twenty-five cents! Unless razed lately, a solid old stone building known as the "Still House" remains standing along the little stream not far from where the new state highway will cut through the Grimes farm.
For many years the station stood in the southeast corner of what is now a vacant lot adjacent to the site of the old Griffin house. This served as a telegraph office in those days when a telegraph office was an integral part of every small railroad town, but many years ago the telegraph office was discontinued. In those days the men of the neighborhood would gather in the telegraph office of an evening to hear the news as the old Morse operators picked it out while passing over the wires and gave it to their friends. After the discontinuance of telegraph service at Deer Park the Baltimore and Ohio set up telegraph instruments in the home of the writer's father near the hotel. On election night his friends would walk over from Deer Park to get the election returns. This of course was not why the company put in the instruments. Its purpose was to be able to call out someone in the dead of a winter night to round up trackmen when trains were stalled, or in danger of stalling, in the deep snowdrifts. One winter morning about the year 1874 the Wheeling Accommodation stalled in a snowdrift at the hotel station and was not dug out until afternoon.
An agency was maintained at Deer Park after the discontinuance of the telegraph office, and when the old station burned down, about the year 1900, a new station was built which still stands. As an aftermath of the Great Depression, the agency was discontinued in 1932. Today the station, ill kept and forsaken, bears but a faint resemblance to the neat and bustling little place which was presided over by the late William B. Griffin, who for many years prior to 1916 was the capable and courteous agent.
Deer Park is located at an altitude of about 2455 feet above sea
Robert Browning Garrett
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963