Deer Park, page 8
Samuel C. Hoye (who later became Postmaster) and William D. Hoye were Deacons. There was a membership of 45. The first marriage recorded was that of Louise Jankey and Lloyd Chambers, August 20, 1876. Perhaps services were held at first in the all-embracing Union Church, for the Lutheran church was built in 1883. The basement under the Lutheran church was used as a public school during the winter following the razing of Deer Park's first school, to be mentioned later. Wilbur C. Jones, who had came to Deer Park very recently from Ohio, was the first teacher. The following year Mrs. John W. Williams, a summer visitor who will be mentioned further, and who it appeared already was manifesting an interest in Deer Park, hired Miss Mary Grafflin of Baltimore who taught the school for two years. Meantime a new school was being built and this opened in due time with Miss Helen Harrison and Rev. John Laughlin as teachers. This is the school building which was replaced by the present one some years ago.
By 1940 the Lutheran Church had been unused as a church for more than 20 years, due no doubt to death or removal of the older members, and title to the property reverted to the heirs of the late Emil F. Droege. In that year the church building was bought by Rev. G. W. Burkhart and, a group of his denomination, the Full Gospel or Pentecostal sect, who tore down the old church and rebuilt it on the edge of the McGraw property. This church burned down on March 19, 1944. It was rebuilt the following year.
The school mentioned in the census report for 1880 was built in the northeast corner of the triangle in the center of town prior to 1870. At that period Allegany County, which of course then included all of Garrett, seems to have had only a casual interest in public education. Some towns, of which Deer Park was one, built their own schools, and the County School Board in 1870 voted to take over the Deer Park school building upon payment of $375.00 to the town. This old school was replaced years later by another' which stood on the site of the present school, the latter having been erected some years ago as noted previously.
It probably is not generally known that Deer Park was a contender for selection as county seat of Garrett County when the county was formed in 1872. There were grave fears that if Deer Park persisted in its! efforts along this line, the county seat surely would be Grantsville or Accident. Deer Park finally was persuaded to desist, and Oakland later was selected by a not too comfortable margin.
Listed as farmers in the census of 1880 were:—James Archibald, Richard Burke, Wm. Chadderton (who hanged himself in his barn near Deer Park nearly 50 years ago), Hugh Copper, Henry. G. Davis,
Robert Browning Garrett
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963