Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Deer Park, page 11


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



this same John Male who showed the writer, some 35 years ago, in a thicket of jack oaks in Dawson Glade, a circular row of flat stones which he said marked the spot where the Indians used to conduct their ceremonials. John was a descendant of the Indian who in 1755 carried messages and mail for General Braddock and in consequence came to be called "Mail," later modified to "Male." Mail, or Male, assumed or was given also the Christian name "Will." He married a negro cook who was with Braddock, and after the latter's defeat settled in what is now Garrett County. He has many descendants in Garrett County and West Virginia. This data concerning the Male family was given to the writer about 1916 by the late William D. Hoye, Justice of the Peace at Deer Park.

An older brother of Hice Laughlin suggested to his father that he send Hice away to school, or somewhere, before someone killed him. This suggestion was not followed. Hice managed to survive and became a telegraph operator when only about 15 and later was promoted to train dispatcher, assistant train master and train master at Grafton. Finally, in the late 1920's, he was made Superintendent of the Cumberland Division of the Baltimore and Ohio, extending from Brunswick to Grafton and including that part of the road which had been the scene of his youthful pranks. Mr. Laughlin died some years ago and fittingly enough is buried in the Deer Park cemetery near his old home.

William Sisk was a carpenter in and around Deer Park for many years. Bill really preferred fishing to working at his trade, being an easygoing bachelor. However, when ordinary carpenters were stumped by some intricate problem, Bill was hunted up for consultation. When the imposing summer home of the late James Swan Frick was being built by the Baltimore contracting firm of Philip Walsh and Sons, in 1892-93, the experienced carpenters from Baltimore had difficulty in laying out the ornamental staircase. Bill, then a young man, volunteered to show them how to do the job—and did so. A few years later, work on the amphitheater at Mountain Lake Park, with its unique system of roof supports, came to a standstill as the carpenters pondered over the complicated blue prints. Someone, happily, remembered Bill Sisk, and was able to locate him. Bill soon cleared up the difficulty with the result that the graceful building that for many years was the pride of the neighborhood was brought to completion. On still another occasion, so it is said, the Deer Park interlocking tower was being built. A technical problem arose and work ceased. Then someone saw Bill Sisk calmly fishing in the Little Yough nearby. Shortly thereafter Bill had solved the problem, work was proceeding again,




ID:
gctg165

Creator:
Robert Browning Garrett

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image