Deer Park, page 13
road where it crossed the swamps east of the Garrett farm, the idea being, presumably, to secure a more stable roadbed in time of wet weather. From Pysell's west to what now is Oakland the present highway passes the "Anchorage," Broad Ford and the site of the old Calmes home by way of almost exactly the same route as that chosen for the state road by Col. Francis Deakins and Joseph Neville when they surveyed it in 1785. The road through this section apparently was constructed a year or two later.
The "Anchorage" was the summer home of Captain Roger Perry, U. S. N., of Cumberland, and his descendants, and was a landmark near Broad Ford for many years until it was destroyed by fire about 1915. The Perry family were not related to the famous naval officers who distinguished themselves, respectively, on Lake Erie and in opening the door to Japan in 1854. Captain Roger Perry, however, is said to have commanded the first United States warship to cross the Atlantic under steam power (with masts and sail in reserve in case of steam failure). The celebrated anchors which gave the place its name and which still may be seen near what once was the front gate, curiously enough do not possess any particular historical significance aside from the fact that many years ago they were transported to their present resting place by an elder member of the Perry family who had secured them in Alexandria, Va. Perhaps the most interesting feature of these two ancient anchors is the fact that for so many years they have defied alike both the junk dealer and the collector of antiques.
Colonel George Truesdell came to Garrett County from Washington, D. C. about the turn of the century and bought up much land between Deer Park and Altamont, as well as the collection of springs at the foot of Backbone Mountain known as the Altamont Springs. On this land he raised fancy sheep which he used to ship to breeders as far away as South Africa. He built a modern bottling house alongside the railroad below his home and piped the spring water to this point. He bottled the water and shipped it by the carload to a large department store in Washington where it was sold to the public under the name "Altamont Springs Water." The Colonel maintained this industry for many years, giving employment to a number of local men and women, among whom were William B. Miller, George W. Marley, W. S. Cormany and various members of the Thrasher family. It is said that he not only realized no profit from the enterprise, but on the contrary voluntarily absorbed a large annual deficit rather than close down the plant.
The Colonel's summer home, "Truesdell's Heights," was on top of the hill above the old Blackburn log cabin, the Blackburn farm being one of the properties purchased by him. Here he erected a large
Robert Browning Garrett
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963