Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Deer Park, page 14


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



wooden water tank, supported by a high wooden tower, to supply water to his home. This landmark was visible for many miles in all directions, and even after the Colonel had died and his estate had passed into other hands, the lonely old tower and tank defied the elements for many years, finally collapsing when the supports rotted away. An engineer officer in the Union Army during the Civil War, Colonel Truesdell personally laid out the driveway that by easy grades and a series of graceful curves led from the house to the highway at the foot of the hill. The Colonel owned? one of the first automobiles brought to the mountains by rail for the summer. This was a White steamer with a door in the rear of the tonneau and a wicker basket, long and narrow, at each side.

"Glamorgan," the summer home of the John W. Williams family of Philadelphia, was located just northeast of Deer Park. On a beautiful site Mr. Williams erected a large, picturesque frame dwelling after having occupied somewhat smaller cottages at the hotel for several summers. After his death the property was owned for many years by the Grimes family. One of the Grimes boys, William, married June Dunnington, daughter of W. C. Dunnington who for many years operated the Mountain Lake Park Hotel. The hotel now is operated by Mrs. Grimes. Another son, Bushrod, better known as "Jack," married Sadie, daughter of Dr. J. W. Laughlin.

Mrs. John W. Williams was a leader of society in her home city. During her stay at Deer Park she was instrumental in forming, with the aid of other interested visitors, an organization known as the Deer Park Friendly Society. In a neat little building constructed for the purpose in the north end of town, and known as "Friendly Hall," carpet looms were installed and the young women of the neighborhood were instructed in the intricacies of rag carpet weaving. A local carpenter, Frank Thrasher, was engaged at about the same time to instruct some of the boys in the elements of woodworking. The class, which included Roy and Chester Bobet, Fred and Eugene Walter, Albert and Edward Thrasher, Otto Droege and perhaps two or three others, met for two or three hours in the evening, once or twice a week, for perhaps two months during the winter, in Mr. Thrasher's shop, and made mission type furniture which was sold to help defray expenses. Although it now is more than 45 years ago, the writer recalls vividly how gratified he was when he prevailed upon his father to secure his admission to the class one winter. Yes, in those days extra-curricular activities around Deer Park when the hotel was closed for the season were quite limited.

A daughter of Mr. Williams married Dr. John K. Mitchell, also of Philadelphia, a handsome man who attracted attention whenever




ID:
gctg168

Creator:
Robert Browning Garrett

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image