Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Kitzmiller on the Potomac, page 4


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



Scotch-Irish folk-the Brays, Davises, Hamills, Harveys, Junkinses, Paughs, Pews, Rafters, and the Taskers.

In 1853, Ebeneezer Kitzmiller built a woolen mill, the second industry for the little village. Operated by Billy Pool, the excellent products soon became nationally known, particularly to the lumbermen who enjoyed the warmth and other fine qualities of the Pool shirt, blanket, and cloth.

Power for both the giant mill and the woolen mill was developed from the Potomac River.

As the community grew and prospered, so did its needs—spiritual as well as educational. The first church in the area was a Methodist meeting house at Fairview, a short distance from town. During the week the meeting house was used for schooling. Older citizens of the town date the building of this meeting house as early as 1840.

In 1884, the first schoolhouse was built, and again, the building served the dual purpose of education and religion. It was not until 1887 that the first Methodist church was erected on ground donated by Mrs. Emily Kitzmiller. This frame structure was used until it could no longer accommodate the congregation. In 1911 a new Methodist church was erected and is still in use today.

At present, there are three other churches: the Kitzmiller Pres-




ID:
gctg178

Creator:
Ruth Hutson Ryan

Notes:
A hunter walks out of one of the forests of Garrett County with a wild turkey. Due to reforestation turkeys are more frequently observed throughout the county. Picture through the courtesy of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image