Kitzmiller on the Potomac, page 5
byterian Church built in 1908; the Church of the Immaculate Conception built in 1929; and the Kitzmiller Assembly of God Church built in 1918.
Prior to the building of the first school, Henry O. Hamill taught a class in a front room of the Browning House. His daughter, Mollie, was the teacher in the first school. In 1902 a new school was built. It was not until 1913 that a high school education became available to the youth of the area. That year twenty-five students began high school work in the elementary school building. Two years later the group moved into Warnick's Hall and from there graduated the first class, numbering; five.
It was in January, 1922 when the new high school was opened for classes. In 1939, a unit of six classrooms was added to the high school building—these became home for the elementary grades.
In 1951, an attempt was made to consolidate the county high schools. Inasmuch as this would have meant a thirty-two mile bus trip daily over Backbone Mountain, the majority of the Kitzmiller students chose to attend nearby Elk Garden, W. Va. school, an alternative given them by the State Board of Education.
On January 11 of this year, an addition to the Kitzmiller Community School was dedicated. The building, which now has ten class rooms, a modern cafeteria and all purpose room, houses grades one through seven, with a staff of eight teachers, directed by Mr. Bernard High, principal.
A bank, the First National Bank of Kitzmiller, was established in 1906 with R. A. Smith as president. It served the community until 1932.
The first mail service was weekly, being brought by horse from Altamont. In 1877 the first postoffice opened, with John Henry Rafter as postmaster. In 1882, with the construction of the West Virginia Central and Pittsburgh Railroad through the adjacent village of Blaine, mail was delivered there daily.
A community service not to be overlooked is that of the physician. Over the years, these men served the area: Doctors Kennedy, Heath, McLean, Laughlin, Strachan, Saegers, Miller, Ravenscroft, Kalbaugh, Crittenden, Fidler, Sisson, and the Copeland brothers, (H. P. and G. A.). Today, and for the past twenty years, Kitzmiller has been fortunate to have the services of Dr. Ralph Calendrella. A leader in community affairs, he is at present serving on the County Board of Education.
This then, is the history of the town—its early business enterprises, its religion, education, etc. But what of the lumber, the coal, and the water? These, too have a history. For it was these resources
Ruth Hutson Ryan
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963