Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Memories of Oakland, page 2


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



from bars he had made himself out of scraps of iron by welding them together. The horse shoe nails were hand made as well out of selected pieces of tough iron. He would charge an eleven pence (12 1/2) for each new shoe nailed on. The monopoly (?) he had of that business was sufficient for him to maintain a large wife and a family accordingly. He always was punctual in attending church services and his coarse clothes, although large enough, did not seem to be his shape, yet they were undoubtedly the product of his frugal wife's best endeavor. The grime of his vocation would defy the effects of soap and water, and would be in evidence at all times on his hands and face. He was an honest and industrious man.

Crossing the run on a foot-plank, if on foot, or fording it if driving or horseback, we soon came to D. A. Matthews' place of business, located between the big road and the B&O R. R., which had lately been completed. A side track from the railroad extended along the big road some eight or ten rods. Mr. Matthews' store and residence, all in a one story frame building, was located between the side track and the main line of the railroad. Mr. Matthews was one of the pioneer merchants and kept a general store as was required at that time. A platform 12 or 14 feet wide in front of his store answered the double purpose of a porch and place to unload local freight. The Post Office was in Mr. Matthews' place of business, and letters were folded with the blank




ID:
gctg191

Creator:
Thomas J. Brandt

Notes:
OAKLAND HOTEL. OAKLAND HOTEL. Built by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1878 and continued operations until 1907 when it was dismantled and its furnishings auctioned off among the townspeople. It was the scene of many gay social functions—and the park grounds were a rendezvous for guests and natives alike. At the far end of the park was Washington Springs. The site is now used by the Carnation Milk Company. Courtesy of Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image