Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Memories of Oakland, page 4


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



collect her bills. She supported an aged and blind mother, her own boy and herself on the proceeds of her washing.

In a building that stood between Third and Fourth Streets, and on the north side of Alder was taught the first school in Oakland. Mr. Penn, an Englishman, was the teacher. He might have been some relative of William Penn of Pennsylvania fame. He wore broadcloth clothes cut claw hammer style, and a tall plug hat. He was about six feet tall, and slim built. His legs seemed to be altogether too short for a man of his height, especially when his plug hat was added to his altitude. But he had a severe scholarly look that proclaimed his vocation. Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose were the next to instruct Oakland youth in the same building. Later a room was procured on the south side of the deep cut, but no regular school house was then built.

On the northeast corner of Third and Oak Streets was Mr. King's Tavern, later owned by Mr. Baker, who had bought the Michaels house. Mr. King was a small, frail looking man who usually wore a fuzzy plug hat. He had two good looking daughters and one son, so far as I can remember. "Billy" King was tongue-tied but could talk fast—a record breaker in that capacity.




ID:
gctg193

Creator:
Thomas J. Brandt

Notes:
THE GLADES HOTEL, Oakland, Maryland. This picture was taken prior to 1874, the year the hotel was destroyed by fire. It was built by White and Burton. First operated by Perry Lyles, it was taken over by John Daily in 1858. His daughter, Mary, married General George A. Crook who built Crook's Crest a few years after the Civil War. This was undoubtedly the first railroad hotel on top of any mountain in the world. This was the headquarters) for the organization that created Garrett County. Here the first Court of Garrett County was held. This is the oldest picture of any part of Oakland, Maryland. Courtesy of "The Glades Star."

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image