Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Memories of Oakland, page 9


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



ered, as a very disagreeable odor of medicine was always noticeable when passing his office—a good and cheap means of advertising.

Crossing the bridge over the Little Yough, and on the right hand side of the road, was Mr. Helbig's Tannery which vied with Dr. Schmitt's for disagreeable smells.

Returning to Oak Street, between Third and the 'deep cut', was D. R. Brand's residence (then the largest in town), and a General Store added onto the west side of it. Mr. Brandt was one of the pioneer settlers of Oakland, and did quite an extensive business for those times when all the goods were hauled from Cumberland to Oakland on wagons until the B&O R. R. was completed. Uncle Reese, as we called him, took an active part in church affairs, as noted previously, but he caught the "western fever" and sold his residence to Mr. Hinebaugh who later sold to Ezekiel Totten. William P. Totten then continued the mercantile business here for some time.

Continuing west on Oak Street we come to the 'deep cut' which was not bridged then, and a foot path led down the north side to Second Street. At this point "Coon" Michaels opened a store in a building built by John Michaels for that purpose. Mr. Offutt later




ID:
gctg198

Creator:
Thomas J. Brandt

Notes:
JONATHAN AND HULDAH (TISSUE) HINEBAUGH A U G H (HEIMBACH). They came to Oakland in 1855. The second building in Oakland (the railroad station was first), according to Scharf's History, was the store of Daniel Reese Brant. This store was purchased by Jonathan Hinebaugh in 1855. On joining the Confederate Army he sold his store to Ezekiel Totten. Later it was operated by William Totten, his son. The store stood on the present site of Ray Teets Garage. Harry, Roy and Bessie are grandchildren. Ward, Cargo and Donald Howard Hinebaugh are great-grandsons of this pioneer merchant. Picture through the courtesy of Hilda Madigan of Deer Park, Md.

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image