Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Memories of Oakland, page 10


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



occupied this store room and was doing business there in 1863 when a bunch of rebel cavalry made a raid on Oakland and did business with him in the clothing line, and made some unsatisfactory 'horse deals' with the natives. If any boot money was offered it was the same kind that Offutt refused to accept in payment for clothing.

Capt. Godwin's Home Guards were surprised at the sudden appearance of the cavalry and sought seclusion in any form. The 'Rebs' burned the bridge across the Big Yough and made an unsuccessful effort to run a freight train into the river. They then left! as suddenly as they arrived.

Crossing the railroad and Second Street we come to Mr. Spedden's Store.

On the northwest corner of Second and Oak Streets was the small office of Dr. Conn. Here the first murder in Oakland's history occurred. Dr. Conn was a young man and I believe was the first practicing physician in Oakland as he was previous to Dr. Dorsey's arrival; also that of Drs. Ramsey and Josiah Lee McComas. While Dr. Conn was unlocking his office door he was struck by a bullet fired out of the window of a house diagonally across the street. The bullet passed through him and lodged in the door of his office. He fell from the steps of his office to the street dead. Marquis Perry was there when he fell at his feet. Already nervously afflicted, he was completely un-




ID:
gctg199

Creator:
Thomas J. Brandt

Notes:
DR. JOSIAH LEE McCOMAS. who commenced the practice of medicine in Oakland, Md. in 1853 and continued for fifty years. His son, Henry Wheeler McComas, succeeded his father. Although the elder McComas was not the first resident doctor his qualifications and long service would entitle him to rank as "Oakland's pioneer doctor." Picture through the courtesy of Miss Nell Browning, Deer Park, Md.

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image