Memories of Oakland, page 13
if he tried to do labor there." The audience was seated en the sides of the alley or stood up as they chose. Mr. Duval led the cheering by stamping his cane on the floor of the temporary rostrum. Mr. Duval made his headquarters at Mr. Offutt's Store. He wore a heavy beard so trained that his mouth was invisible. He later had a shave, and there was not enough of his face left for his friends to recognize him.
The old grist mill that stood where the large one now stands, on the banks of the Little Yough, was of primitive construction. Because of lack of water in a dry time and ice in the winter, it operated only periodically—and was of uncertain quantity. In the winter Mr. Chambers or Barney Hesen, or whoever was miller at the time, would take an axe and chop the undershot wheel loose and free from the ice before it would start. The grist was usually brought on horseback, and the miller would carry it in on his shoulder, walking a gang plank. He would tell you when he would be able to grind it, owing to grists ahead due to the insufficiency of water.
The Glades Hotel was conducted by Mr. Lyle who lived privately in a little house across the railroad from Mr. Matthews' place of business. The telegraph office was opposite the hotel, and Townshend
Thomas J. Brandt
MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY CLUB (1900)—This club was organized by Percy Proctor of Cincinnati, Ohio, member of the Proctor and Gamble family. The Club Rooms were above the Leather Harness Shop, the present site of the Ha-f Price Store. Those identified, reading from left to right: Carl B. White, William King, Mr. Bowman, Guy Orcutt, A. G. Sturgiss, Stanley Boyer, Wallace Boyer, Semmes Hamill, Mose Hamill, standing to the left of the horse; E. J. Fringer is to the right of the horse in the shadow. In front of him is James W. Leathers. Others are Harry White, Grover Stemple Homer Turney, Clarence Boyer, Fred Fullmer and Roy Hamill, standing in the doorway to the right. Picture through the courtesy of Savilla Leathers Hinebaugh.
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963