Memories of Oakland, page 15
C. Melvin Kight
WE CLEAN AND PRESS — ALTER AND REPAIR
Deerfield 4-3428 Oakland, Md.
THE LONGEST KNOWN RESTAURANT NAME IN WESTERN MARYLAND
FOUNDED BY WILLIAM GLOTFELTY HINEBAUGH IN 1898
THE MAYOR AND TOWN COUNCIL OF OAKLAND, MARYLAND, WELCOMES TOURISTS TO THE OLDEST SUMMER RESORT ON TOP OF THE ALLEGHENY MOUNTAINS.
The first permanent settler was William Armstrong, coming here in 1806. The town was laid out in 1849; incorporated in 1862.
Following is the list of Mayors in the order they served: Dr. St. Felix Colordeau, Captain J. M. Jarboe, John Dailey, Richard T. Browning, D. M. Mason, John M. Read, D. E. Offutt, G. W. Delawder, Alexander Osborne, Andrew B. Gonder, Owen Hart, 0. W. Heiskell, D. E. Offutt, D. M. Mason, A. G. Sturgiss, G. M. Mason, Dr. Henry W. McComas, R. S. Jamison, John W. Hart, H. J. Frear, Truman West, A. Totten Matthews, George Giessman, William R. Offutt, Thomas A. Gonder, Lawrence M. Fraley, Alexander G. Hesen, Joseph Hinebaugh, Russell L. Smith.
Besides the Mayor the present Town Council is comprised of Dr. E. Irving Baumgartner, Harry L. Stemple, Robert M. Maroney, James B. Nally, Carroll E. Miller, and Clayton O. Winters.
Editor: Felix G. Robinson
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963