Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Our history begins on the Youghiogheny, page 5


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



for his coffin, and he was buried under a tree near the Boiling Spring now covered over by the McHenry inlet of Deep Creek—opposite the residence of Daniel Specht.

THE ALLEGANY IRON COMPANY In 1828 the first organized industry, the first incorporated company, began operations under the name of the "Allegany Iron Company". It was incorporated under the Act of the General Assembly of Maryland, March 14th, 1828. Its incorporators were: Henry P. VanBibber, William D. McKim, Columbus O'Donnell, John McHenry, John Hoye, and Upton Bruce. The first three were from Baltimore, the latter three from Allegany County, Maryland. The furnace was located on the west side of Bear Creek about a mile upstream from Friendsville. In 1938 Patrick J. Doolan was residing in this house. This house stood on the foundation of the company store. Below the furnace site is the house of E. C. Ryland which was originally built by John Raymond who was manager of the plant. In 1829 the incorporated name was changed to "Youghogany Iron Company". There was also a forge and foundry built on the west bank of the Youghiogheny River about a half-mile below Friendsville. The forge and foundry manufactured implements and kettles from the pig iron taken from the furnace on Bear Creek. A "race" carried water from the river to furnish power for the great hammers of the forge. About 1895 Leslie E. Friend repaired the old1 race and built a small power plant on the forge site which supplied Friendsville with electricity until the present system was installed.

This Iron Company and forge operated from 1828 until 1839. It provided work for a hundred men or more. Houses were built for the workers. This was the beginning of Friendsville as a village, and by 1830, as has already been stated, there was a Post Office there.

In 1920 Rev. D. A. Friend wrote-"Sixty years ago (1860) the greater number of the houses were still standing and many of them in good condition. The reason assigned for closing ... was due to the cost of transportation which consumed most of the profits."

But it also must be remembered that competition with larger and better equipped plants located on the Ohio in proximity to manufacturing centers assisted materially in the decline of this modest enterprise at Friendsville. Like other iron furnaces in the mountains of West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania. "The Youghogany Iron Company" could not hope to succeed.

The pig iron that was not used at the Friendsville Foundry and Forge was hauled by wagons to Brownsville and shipped thence by boat. Boating down the Youghiogheny was also tried. Flat boats could




ID:
gctg243

Creator:
Felix G. Robinson

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image