Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Our history begins on the Youghiogheny, page 6


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



be sent down to the National Road at Somerfield, but it was extremely difficult to pole or tow them up-stream. A man named Patents is said to have built a boat and floated it down the river, but in towing it back with his horse the animal was drowned.

LUMBER BECOMES A MAJOR INDUSTRY The next industrial development took place sometime after the Civil War. This in large measure coincided with the coming of the Confluence and Oakland R. R. April 1st, 1889. Among the lumber companies that operated were those of The Johnstown Lumber Company, The Kendall, The Krug and McCullough Companies. The railroad got no further than Kendall, a lumber town a few miles up the Youghiogheny from Friendsville. Here was also located the Krug stavemill. In the early years of the C. & O. there were two mixed passenger and freight trains each day. As timber was depleted there was but one train a day—and at the end but one a week. The C. 85 O. went out of business in April 1942. Its latter years were given over to hauling of coal.

John Holman, former President of the Garrett County Historical Society says: "When the Confluence and Oakland Railroad arrived in Friendsville in 1889 a civil engineer, Whetstone by name, who surveyed for the railroad also surveyed lots to create the town of Friendsville. The lots were laid out on the property of Abraham Steele."

Of the lumber operators that of John W. McCullough figured most prominently. In many respects he can be considered as the founder of Friendsville as we know it today. He was an outstanding leader not only in his community but in the county and state. He served as State Senator from this county. His family continues to be prominently identified with the community. Looking over some old notes I find the following, most likely taken down when interviewing one of the older citizens: "John W. McCullough had the reputation of being one of the fairest and most honest men ever in big business in the county. His dealings and relations with the public were honorable. He got his start on Elder Hill where he logged. He was a very hard worker and earned whatever prosperity, success, and recognition he obtained."

Uncle Thad Hinebaugh states that he began to haul crossties to Friendsville in December 1904. He sold the crossties to Frazee and Black—and he hauled lumber for John W. McCullough. He also stated that if all the crossties that were shipped from Friendsville were piled up on both banks for a mile distant they would reach the heights of the mountains.

But not all the crossties were shipped by railroad. In the earlier days they were floated down the river. They had to be of white oak as




ID:
gctg244

Creator:
Felix G. Robinson

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image