Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Our history begins on the Youghiogheny, page 8


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



combined shoemaking with running the Post Office. Buck Liston, Constable, shot a man by the name of Frantz in the Riverside Hotel which was operated by a Mr. Collier. George R. Long, father of Samuel N., bought the Deane House and changed the name to Central Hotel. Bill Jenkins spent his time fishing, hunting, and pulling up gin seng. There was a Wolf who was a merchant. Olive DeWitt, daughter of Prof. DeWitt, taught school in Friendsville. Bill Dunham was another barber then in Friendsville. He now runs a barbershop in Confluence, Penna. June Stuck came into Friendsville carrying a bag of gin seng. Stuck lived in Selbysport. He was a story-teller—mostly of the humorous brand. A filer of band saws was a very important man in the community. People looked up to him; he got a large salary. Names I best remember are: DeWitts, McCullough, Friends, Savages, Black, Dye, Steele, Garlitz, Nicklow, Harvey, Frazee, and Spear.

George F. Frazee was a foreman at the stave mill at Krug. This was later known as Kendall, Maryland. This George was the father of Floyd R. Frazee, the well-known Parkersburg jeweler. George F. Frazee was formerly a watch-maker (watch-tinker is what Friendsville people called him). Mr. Krug, the Secretary of the Interior, came from this Krug family. Floyd Frazee visited this family in St. Petersburg, Florida.

CANOEING FROM FRIENDSVILLE TO PITTSBURGH

Before leaving the Friendsville part of this story it is appropriate to recall a trip by canoe from Friendsville, Md. to Pittsburgh, Penna. This is the only record we have of white men making this perilous, and needless to say, exciting journey. The white men involved were young adventurers from Oakland, Maryland. John Weber hauled Ralph Weber and Paul Naylor, with canoe and equipment down to the river at the mouth of Hoye's Run. This was during high water in July 1910. They got as far as Kendall where they were hauled on a flat bottomed railroad car to Friendsville. Here they commenced their memorable journey. Shortly after starting they encountered a squall. The going was so rough that they pulled to shore where they camped for four or five days. In the meantime they were joined by Wellington Crane. After resuming their journey all went smoothly until they came to the Great Falls at Ohiopyle. Here it was necessary to make a portage. In the lower section of the river where there were manufacturing plants they encountered a great deal of debris which partly ripped off the canvass that covered the canoe. Finally they reached Pittsburgh. They sent the canoe home by express. Then they took a boat to Parkersburg and returned by railroad.

Space forbids the recounting of equally interesting recollections




ID:
gctg247

Creator:
Felix G. Robinson

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image