Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Our history begins on the Youghiogheny, page 10


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



covered with a forest of maple, oak and chestnut. Rev. Boucher named his survey "The Blooming Rose". Meschach Browning in his book states that "it was so named because of the' many wild flowers that grew there."

But on the coveted tract there already resided a squatter by the name of Richard Hall. A compromise was effected. French and Deakins signed an agreement with Hall whereby his settlement was included in the survey and that Boucher would deed one hundred acres of the tract to Hall. Richard Hall was the first settler in Blooming Rose. He died there in 1791. From whence he came we do not know. John Rutan* and Catherine nee Jones settled in Blooming Rose in 1787, thus becoming the second permanent settlers in this delightful tableland. A marker to commemorate their arrival has been erected in the old orchard on top of the hill where they resided.

The year that Richard Hall died (1791) about forty families moved to Blooming Rose. Most of the husbands had been soldiers who had grown tired of fighting Indians in Ohio. James McGoffin was one of these soldiers. He was most likely the first Catholic in the county. He married a Protestant wife of Pennsylvania Dutch extraction. Wilhelmina (unfortunately we do not know her last name) expressed a desire to become a Catholic. In 1799, tradition says, James McGoffin and his wife Wilhelmina set out on horseback for Loretto (Cambria County, Penna., the nearest Catholic Church) where she was instructed and then baptized by the Rev. Demetrius Gallitzin, the first Catholic

*John Rutan was a typical pioneer. He had a large family, plenty of land and other moderate resources. In 1798 he was assessed in Sandy Creek Hundred with a hundred and fifty acres of land, one horse and seventeen cattle. His children may have attended the Blooming Rose or Selbysport school. The Rutans were among the first members of the Methodist congregation at Friends (Friendsville) down in the Youghiogheny Valley. The Rutan girls were noted singers. W. Scott Friend told that they often sat in the evening on the bluff overlooking the Youghiogheny and sang songs heard for miles over the valley. The Rutans planted a fine apple orchard on the slope above their home. Some of the trees still bear fruit. The "Rutan Pippin" is the last of the Rutans on Blooming Rose. The Rutan log-house was by the spring on the east side of the Blooming Rose-Selbysport Road (the old Morgantown Road), opposite the present farm house occupied by the Ronald Guard family. The family graveyard is at the upper side of the orchard. "At the site of the old Wesley Chapel on the Rutan Settlement, now known as the Rumlbaugh Farm, John Rutan, and his wife Catherine and others are buried etc." (The Glades Star, Vol. 1, No. 36.) This would} indicate that a Methodist Church once stood in what is known as Rutan's graveyard. The present Methodist Church (organized 1865) is about three miles south and west of the old Wesley Chapel.




ID:
gctg249

Creator:
Felix G. Robinson

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image