Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Our history begins on the Youghiogheny, page 11


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



priest ordained in the United States, and the first Catholic priest to minister to the settlers west of the Allegheny mountains. Thus Garrett County Catholicism stems from this baptism by the Apostle of the Alleghenies, Father Gallitzin.

As early as 1819 the Rev. James Redmond came to Bloooming Rose. At that time the following Catholic families lived there: McGoffin, Bevans, Jamieson, Edwards and Smith. Mass was said in the homes. Father Fenwick succeeded Father Redmond and served these families until he was consecrated Bishop of Cincinnati in 1822. It was during the visits of Father Fenwick to Blooming Rose that a few Indians were instructed and baptised. This Mission at this time had a dozen or more Indian communicants. This is the only record of Indian Christians we have in Garrett County. Father Fenwick was succeeded by Rev. Thomas Heyden of Bedford, Penn. Then came the Rev. Timothy Ryan. It became known as St. Mary's Church. It was built in 1831 of hewed timbers. It was located on the Smith farm just west of the present house of John Frantz. The first resident priest was the Rev. Henry Meyers who five years later was succeeded by Rev. B. S. Piot. Among the converts of Pastor Meyers were Mary McMullen and her husband Meshack Browning. The McMullen farm adjoined that of the Jamiesons. The history of this oldest Catholic Church in Garrett County has been written in detail by the editor. The most interesting feature of its history has to do with the priests. Their careers were rich in important events having to do with early Catholicism in this part of America. The first Sacrament of Confirmation was administered in 1828 by Bishop Flaget, the founder of the Catholic Church in Kentucky. This took place in St. Mary's Church at Blooming Rose. Among those confirmed was Israel Garlitz, the son of Christian Garlitz, one of the lay-founders of St. Ann's at Avilton. Father Piot was the last priest to serve St. Mary's in Blooming Rose. This church ceased to exist about 1850. Many of the Catholic families had removed to Johnstown, now known as Hoyes, where another Church was built which existed almost a hundred years. Among the organizers of this Church were Meschack Browning and Dominic Mattingly.

THE FIRST CHURCH IN COUNTY WAS BAPTIST In the year 1772 the Rev. John Taylor, an outstanding itinerant Baptist preacher visited Sandy Creek Glades. While there he organized a Baptist Church. His most enthusiastic Sponsor was Ephraim Frazee, the Patriarch of the Frazee clan. At that time the western boundary of Maryland had not been made. The people who attended this church were those living along the Virginia-Maryland border. It is not known exactly where this church was built. This congregation had a close as-




ID:
gctg250

Creator:
Felix G. Robinson

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image